This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible Kubuntu 8.10

Is the second time that kate running from Dolphin delete all my directories and I lost all my information!!!!
    What is happen?

Javier

Re: Horrible Kubuntu 8.10

With all due respect, I have not ever heard of this before and fully believe that it is impossible, also.

But perhaps you could explain exactly the who, what, where and when...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

The situation was the next:
      Using dolphin and click on one file then kate try to open this. After a few seconds I have the message that was impossible to open it and from this moment all my files were eliminated for any reason.

Javier

Comment

unbelievable

Comment

can you please provide a bit more detail i will try to recreate your error., i have never ever seen such a thing and i use both dolphin and kate on a daily basis , some time several times a day
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I have seen this happen...I lost an 80gig VM

For me, it was because I had a drive labeled 'home', but also had a seperate home directory, and it caused a lot of issues. (this was a while ago, so, I could be wrong on the details, but I think this was it...)

Anyways, not sure if this is your situation, but it might be worth a look...

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thinking about this problem, I was thinking about two different scenarios. The files were copied from a windows partition and I have observed that in general all my files have the execute permition (rwx).

I was looking at my directories with Dolphin and I selected one file.

1.- Then I saw that the cursor took the form similar when kate try to open the file. After a few seconds the system said me that was impossible to open. After that all my files were deleted.
              Why? Could be that for any reason the system try to run this file and for any reason this procedure give any sequence in order to delete all information?

2.- I'm not sure which of my files was selected. But for example if I selected a script where contains a line with rm -rf *, then it be the cause that all my files were deleted. But in this case, the script file was not in the HOME directory. The files is in other directory and in this case I could understand that only this directory was eliminated and not all my files.

But...I'm using linux more then 10 years and I can say that I'm not expert in linux but I'm not novice. The other thing, is I had this problem only with kubuntu 8.10 in both case. And the last time, for any reason all my files were deletec and the permitions of my home directory was changed. How is possible where my script files don't change permisions?

Javier

Comment

Working...
              X