This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring the default bottom panel

While tinkering with the desktop settings I've accidentally removed the 'taskbar' panel from the bottom of the screen. I've added a new panel & got the main application launcher on it : I even managed to move it to the bottom of the screen which was a job in itself, but there's no clock or system tray. Is there a way to restore the main panel to the default settings ?

Re: Restoring the default bottom panel

If you go to .kde/share/config and delete plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc, then log-out and back in, it will re-set itself.

Comment

Brilliant thanks for your help. I'll give it a go tonight

Comment

You are Welcome.

Comment

I tried the solution but it didn't work unfortunately. When I got rid of the original panel, I created another one but the only widget I could add to it was the application menu, so there's no clock or system tray there. Are there any other options for restoring the original settings ?

Comment

If you go to .kde/share/config and delete plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc, then log-out and back in, it will re-set itse
            In my humble experience that is correct to a point.

You cannot do that from a running user desktop and make it stick.

Boot into recovery mode and choose boot into root->type startx the open up dolphin and find your /home dir. there you can delete those files and when booting back into "user" it should reconfigure itself to the default.

Doing this from a live CD has the same effect.

Hope that helps.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

My apologies, JTN, but it was late at night...

@ Fintan, i can't see a red-faced smilie, and the embarrassed one just isn't expressive enough.

Comment

No worries hippy, happens all to me the time, especially when it is late in the "day"
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Comment

Early night for you tonight then aged hippy !!!

I tried recovery mode,root then startx, but unfortunately could not use the mouse or keyboard ! So I dropped to the command prompt and changed directory to .kde/share/config. In that folder I deleted plasma-appletsrc but could not find plasmarc, so consequently my desktop is exactly the same as before !
                    Thanks for the posts so far its an interesting learning curve !

Comment

Is there anything else broken that i can help you with?

Comment

hmm... i just boted into recovery mode->root and get the same issue (haven't had to do this in II yet.

I guess that is a topic for another post.

Just a few thoughts:

.kde/share/config
                        was that in your /home/username/ or root?

plasmarc should (has to) be there either way but if you deleted anything from the root/.kde then that won't change your user desktop settings.

If you are good with the cli (which I am not ) try it again making sure that you get into your user directory.

If not pop in a Intrepid live cd and find your /home/user folder.

Hope that helps
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No I'm not totally au fait with the CLI yet - I did use the Unix CLI at Uni but that was 15 years ago so I'm a born again n00b lol ! I navigated to the directory by typing 'cd ~/.kde/share/config'. Presumably I was in the wrong directory then ! How do I navigate to the right directory from the command line ?

Comment

Hm, my 2cs worth: to get out of X completely press CTRL+ALT+F4 (anything between F1 and F6 for tty1-6), login in and stop kdm:

Code:
                            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                            Your directory was correct:

mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc~

Don't want to destroy the old file quite yet and start kdm again:

Code:
                            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
                            Did it work?
                            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

please note that ~ is current user home so if you are root then its roots home. try this from your normal account in the CLI

Code:
                               sudo del ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc | sudo del ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc | sudo reboot
                              sudo should prompt for your password , delete the files then reboot your computer .. hope that works for you. (tis how i fixed mine when i broke it
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X