This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get the cube in 8.1?

Sorry for this one, but I can get it fine in gnome, but can't see the cube option in kde. Could anyone tell me how to select it? 3d effects are enabled but there's no 'cube' option I can see.

Ta
    Jon

Re: How do I get the cube in 8.1?

Ah found it once i'd gone to the traditional kicker menu. Unfortuntately despite following the instructions here

http://ubuntusite.com/enable-3d-cube-kubuntu-hardy/

it still doesn't work. Maybe because i've added kubuntu desktop to an ubuntu installation. Oh well.

Comment

Maybe because the link is for instructions for Hardy, not Intrepid. You are posting in Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Cube, sphere, tube, etc will be in kwin ->desktop effects with kde4.2 (january)

Or if you feel like going to the edge you can have a look at kde-nightly:
        http://roderick-greening.blogspot.co...ker-in_03.html

You won't need to use a VM, that is optional.

I am testing it right now. Looks great
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

*edit* sorry fintan, didn't see your post - are you saying that until kde4.2 then the cube is not an option in intrepid, or just that it will be easier to setup?

Sorry, I should have given (much) more info in my first post.

I have just made a clean install of intrepid ibex, initially ubuntu.

While in gnome, I selected 'extra' visual effects in the preferences section.

I then installed the compiz config settings manager (in gnome):

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

I could then select the cube etc and all was well in gnome.

I then installed kubuntu-desktop.

Next I followed the instructions from Hardy heron from the website I mentioned which were:

1. First, right-click on your desktop and select Configure Desktop > Multiple Desktops and set Number of Desktops to 1
          2. Second, in CCSM (compizconfig-settings-manager) select General Options > Desktop Size and set Horizontal virtual size to 4.

However after doing this I still only get one desktop to choose from on the taskbar.

If I right click on the taskbar and choose to have 4 desktops, they appear ok, but there still is no cube.

Comment

Working...
          X