• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: freeze after resolution change

Originally posted by toad
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    No luck, this also didn't help. Well... maybe it did help for the freeze, but I can't test that as I cannot login through the GUI.

I was wondering, is the xorg-driver-fglrx package suitable for Radeon 9200?

I'll try to uninstall the package tomorrow, maybe then I can at least boot into the KDE interface again.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

An

Code:
      apt-cache search radeon
      returned
      ingo@debtop:~$ apt-cache search radeon
      radeontool - utility to control ATI Radeon backlight functions on laptops
      xserver-xorg-video-ati - X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
      xserver-xorg-video-ati-dbg - X.Org X server -- ATI display driver (debugging symbols)
      gatos - ATI All-in-Wonder TV capture software
      rovclock - utility to control frequency rates of your Radeon card
      xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd - X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver
      xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd-dbg - X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI r5xx, r6xx display driver
      fglrx-control - Control panel for the ATI graphics accelerators
      xorg-driver-fglrx - Video driver for ATI graphics accelerators
      xorg-driver-fglrx-dev - Video driver for ATI graphics accelerators (devel files)
      fglrx-control-envy - Control panel for the ATI graphics accelerators
      xorg-driver-fglrx-dev-envy - Video driver for ATI graphics accelerators
      So I'd install this package xserver-xorg-video-ati. First logout (if you could log in - sorry, couldn't resist) by doing a

Code:
      sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
      if the xorg-driver-fglrx doesn't work for you. I suppose you'd uninstall that as well:

Code:
      sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
      And restart your X:

Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
      Now reconfigure your X (somehow, there are two different ways I can think of off the top of my hat, but you know your system better than me by now )

So what's the score?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
        Originally posted by toad
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        No luck, this also didn't help. Well... maybe it did help for the freeze, but I can't test that as I cannot login through the GUI.

I was wondering, is the xorg-driver-fglrx package suitable for Radeon 9200?

I'll try to uninstall the package tomorrow, maybe then I can at least boot into the KDE interface again.
        If it does turn out that the driver which i recommended that you install has been the root of all the problems that you're experiencing, then i apologise, sincerely, and un-reservedly.

However, re-reading the topic, it seems to me that the problem isn't that the fglrx driver might be to blame - rather that there was a problem with which manager is in charge .... or is it time i took my tablets?

Comment

Oh, I thought the manager business was dealt with by sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm Please keep talking, aged hippy, and JohanLingen, keep doing it or, if you are fed up, try a reinstall. Either with the adventurous 8.10 or the near perfect 8.04
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

OK, so here I am again:

I uninstalled the fglrx driver, the xserver-xorg-video-ati was already installed.

I could then login again, which returned me to the starting point of a crashing Display configuration window and a flickering screen (sorry, I didn't mention that before).

I rebooted in Safe Mode and:
            - tried to repair the X-server through the menu, then
            - sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
            - sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

The flickering now seems to be less (it still flashes a few times during logon)*, but I still crash on the Display configuration window...

Note: I also turned of the System Service "Detect RANDR (monitor) changes"; When I turned this option back on and off again, the screen was flickering again (also after reboot). So turn of this option before reconfiguring.

@aged hippy: doesn' t matter that it was the wrong driver, if one doesn't try, nothing will ever change.

What do you mean by the "manager"? kdm/kdm-kde4? At least it seems to me that the kde4 manager named "kdm" was in charge all the time, as it should.

@toad: I'm not giving up THAT easy, it's just a bunch of electronics and it will listen! ;-)
            Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Hm, my hat is off to you.

As for ATI stuff it is a case of the blind leading the blind here, I'm afraid. I've got Nvidia and do not know what else to do

Either wait here or try the ubuntu forum with its infinitely larger community...

Comment

Hmm...

I installed envyng and tried my luck, it also downloads the fglrx driver which of course results in the same error. So I uninstalled the ATI-driver with envyng.

This resulted in a new situation:
                I can login without flickering screens at 800x600. I haven't tried to change the resolution as 800x600 is now the highest available resolution (probably a generic video driver in use?).

It would be nice to have it at 1024x768 though and the funky tab browsing options enabled again. So if anyone has a good advice... I'm in for it!

Comment

Working...
                X