Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Panel to the bottom of the screen - how?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Panel to the bottom of the screen - how?

Call me old and unfashionable, but I prefer the panel at the bottom.

But I can't do it.

Each time I do start a panel at the bottom of the screen, the widgets are lined up vertically, not horizontally, which means that as soon as a second widget is added, both the first and the second disappear. I've realised that this is probably because the default at the bottom of the screen is for a side panel, which is why the widgets line up vertically.

I would also like to have my 5 desktops back in the panel. Click here and look at the bottom of the page and you'll see my 5 desktops. How do I place them as a widget on my panel?

EDIT
    Click here to see a screen cap of my current situation, with the panel up the top.
    P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Re: Moving Panel to the bottom of the screen - how?

Click on the upper-right 'kidney' and ensure that widgets are 'unlocked.'

Click on the smaller kidney and the "settings bar" appears. Click and hold within this bar and drag it to the bottom of the screen and then let go of the mouse button. Panel is now at the bottom of your screen.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Did not work.

I actually tried that before - I'm not dragging the panel down, I'm making it bigger.

This is what happened when I followed your instructions.

EDIT
      What's a Kidney?
      P4-2.66<br />320gb HDD<br />256mb Radeon 9200 SE<br />On-Board LAN<br />2gb RAM<br />17&quot; Monitor<br />CD-RW Drive<br />DVD-R/RW Drive<br />http://www.one-salient-oversight.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're posting in Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, so I have to assume you have that version of Kubuntu installed. It comes with KDE 4.1.2, and the desktop has a 'kidney' shaped object (in the upper-right corner - default) that allows you to lock/unlock widgets and to add widgets. It looks like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Yeah it's there - I had to minimise Firefox to see it though.

Looks like a GNOME logo to me...

Any thoughts on why my panel isn't moving?

Comment

GOT IT!

But the panel is too thick. Whenever I make it thinner, the icons don't shrink to an appropriate size.

And what of my 5 desktop squares (as per original question)

Comment

When you click on the smaller 'kidney' the management bar (my terminology) appears above the actual panel. There are three white dots/diamonds at the top center. When you put your mouse cursor on these and click/hold, you can change the height of the panel. By making the panel height smaller, the icons on the panel adjust their size accordingly - once you release the mouse.

As to number of desktops on the panel. K Menu > System Settings > Desktop > Multiple Desktops > Number of desktops and increase the number to that desired - five in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                As to number of desktops on the panel. K Menu > System Settings > Desktop > Multiple Desktops > Number of desktops and increase the number to that desired - five in your case.
                And if you're missing the widget, right-click on panel > add widget > Pager

Note: You can move widgets on the panel by dragging when the 'panel settings bar' is visible

Comment

Yeah, that's faster (less mouse clicks to get to). Right-click on the pager (the small desktop icons) and select Configure Desktops... from where you can set the number of desktops desired.

Comment

Brilliant. You guys are gold.

Comment

Hey One Salient,

How did you move you panel in the end? I have a problem where I can't move panels about my screen to different sides of it. I can only make a new panels that are attached to the top of the screen. Is that similar to what you found? Cheers

Comment

Read my Reply #6.

Comment

Numerical.

There are two things you can move.

The first, which is what I moved and which I assume is what you moved, is the "line", which you click on a draw down, thus increasing the size of the panel.

The second is this:

1) click on the panel kidney.
                          2) Notice how that "second" panel appears (the one with "add widgets", "lock widgets" etc on it)? Click on THE GRAY AREA ABOVE THE LINE and then draw down. The panel should follow. When you click on it, a "compass" icon thingy should appear.

Comment

Working...
                          X