This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba?

After going through several versions of Kubuntu, I just upgraded to 8.10. With all the past versions I have never gotten Samba to work reliably. Before I try it -again- I'd like to know if anything regarding Samba has been improved upon. If not, what is the best way to share folders and files with the computers in my home running XP?

wmrobins

Re: Samba?

Here's an example of how I share files with one other XP computer on my home network.

1. On the XP computer I setup a shared folder (you can do as many as you want).
    2. Then on your Kubuntu box in Dolphin you can right-click on the Navigation breadcrumbs and choose the option to Edit. This will allow you to type in the samba address of the XP computer.
    3. I type in the following: smb://192.168.1.100/ (which tells samba to look for shares at that ip address. naturally you need to find out the network ip of whichever computer you're connecting to.)
    4. Up pops a listing of my shared folders on that computer.
    5. I drag the folder I want to connect to over to the Places sidebar in Dolphin.
    6. Any time I want to connect to that shared folder I can just click on it in the Places sidebar.

This doesn't let the XP machine connect to my Kubuntu box, but that's okay since this is such a simple setup. I can send files either way by simply transferring them through Dolphin.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Nat. But what I'm really looking for is a way for the XP computers to connect to and do backups on the Linux box.

Comment

Rsync is a great little tool for backups. It takes a bit of setting up, but once it's working it's a great way for your XP machines to backup specific files or directories to your Linux box. I used to have it working fine, then I had to reinstall Windows. I'm in the process of setting it up again. I can let you know of any good tutorials I come across if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
        X