This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 8.1 and/or kde 4.1 sucks!

I'm really upset with this new version > First I have tons of problem in the migration from 8.04 (I had to manually continue the migration using dpkg commands because adept-manager broke and wasn't able to resume).

After that, I found that KDE 4.x is gradually behaving in a 'gnomish' way (crippled features) and I don't like it!!

For example, I don't want this dolphin application, I prefer to use Konqueror but there's no easy way to use it as a default file manager.

Also, this new 'panel' at the bottom is awful ... I always used kicker at the top of my display and autohiding ... now it seems to be impossible to accomplish that with this panel...

Another one: I don't like this 'suse' like KDE menu ... I prefer old style ... unfortunately I haven't found the way to switch to the old style.

If anybody has an idea how to fix this issues, please let me know, thanks!

Toshiro

Re: kubuntu 8.1 and/or kde 4.1 sucks!

I forgot to mention another problem: gtk based applications (ie: firefox) don't look anymore like KDE apps (they don't use KDE/QT widgets anymore, although gtk-qt-engine package is installed >

Comment

Originally posted by toshiro
      I forgot to mention another problem: gtk based applications (ie: firefox) don't look anymore like KDE apps (they don't use KDE/QT widgets anymore, although gtk-qt-engine package is installed >
      I haven't yet found a way to change that flat ugly look, it's a major reason why i will stick with Hardy - for now, at least

The Menu can be changed by right-clicking on it and select traditional(?) style (not sure what it's called, i'm in Hardy)....

Comment

Originally posted by toshiro
        I'm really upset with this new version > First I have tons of problem in the migration from 8.04 (I had to manually continue the migration using dpkg commands because adept-manager broke and wasn't able to resume).

After that, I found that KDE 4.x is gradually behaving in a 'gnomish' way (crippled features) and I don't like it!!

For example, I don't want this dolphin application, I prefer to use Konqueror but there's no easy way to use it as a default file manager.

Also, this new 'panel' at the bottom is awful ... I always used kicker at the top of my display and autohiding ... now it seems to be impossible to accomplish that with this panel...

Another one: I don't like this 'suse' like KDE menu ... I prefer old style ... unfortunately I haven't found the way to switch to the old style.

If anybody has an idea how to fix this issues, please let me know, thanks!

Toshiro

If you go into Adept and tick unsupported updates in software sources, you can download the Lancelot plasmoid and place that on the panel from the add widgets menu. You can also go back to the traditional menu by right clicking on the KDE menu icon.

http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/docs:basic-menu

Comment

Installing kcm-gtk-kde4 alongside of gtk-qt-engine did the trick for me to have gtk-based applications look (allmost) right.

rpw

Comment

Originally posted by rpw
            Installing kcm-gtk-kde4 alongside of gtk-qt-engine did the trick for me to have gtk-based applications look (allmost) right.

rpw
            Thank You, rpw.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I've changed the menu to the old style, but gtk apps still look UGLY!!!

I have two new complaints:

- where's kcontrol?? the kubuntu replacement hides most of the features available in kcontrol

- I used to switch virtual desktops using the mouse wheel, now this feature is unavailable!!!!

Comment

I recommend this Firefox theme http://ramonantonio.net/kde-firefox/ which helps match Firefox to the KDE4 Oxygen theme.

You can already place a panel at the top of your screen and remove the bottom one if you want, but autohiding is coming in 4.2. Just right-click your desktop and choose Add Panel.

Lots of fixes and tweaks and workarounds are appearing all the time. With a bit of patience you'll be able to get KDE 4 to be closer to what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                  I recommend this Firefox theme http://ramonantonio.net/kde-firefox/ which helps match Firefox to the KDE4 Oxygen theme.

You can already place a panel at the top of your screen and remove the bottom one if you want, but autohiding is coming in 4.2. Just right-click your desktop and choose Add Panel.

Lots of fixes and tweaks and workarounds are appearing all the time. With a bit of patience you'll be able to get KDE 4 to be closer to what you want.
                  That firefox theme looks much better than the default! Thanks for the info!

I (somewhat) understand that there's still lots of work to do on KDE, but why Kubuntu dropped KDE 3.x if everybody knows that KDE 4.x is still not complete?

Comment

If you want the old KDE menu, an easy way is to:
                    1. Unlock the widgets
                    2. Click on the task panel right side, (just next to the trash).
                    3. Add Widgets.
                    4. Choose Application Launcher Menu (Traditional Menu Based Application)
                    5. Delete the Application Launcher which you don't like.

Edit: Ooops, just realized there is a solution already above.

Comment

Working...
                    X