This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new user noticing a few issues

Hi, Ive recently installed the latest version of Kubuntu, and when I tried to play around with it an open some programs I noticed that many just dont open. some examples are the calculator, the knetwork manager, and openoffice. I managed to find the that program manager that lets you install packages (sorry, forgot the name), and it said that these program ARE installed. So I uninstalled them thinking that I could reinstall them. Little did I know. I couldnt find any way to retrieve those packages, not even from the CD. Do I have to reinstall the whole OS to fix things? I cant connect to the internet either because I cant seem to configure it anywhere, and I assume that knetwork manager was the key to doing that...
    I also noticed that whenever I open (if I can) even small programs and windows, the screen displays these scratchy static colors (like when you mess with a TV antenna), and then it eventually displays properly. Is my comp too slow or something? I have 1Gb RAM, 64mb ATI mobility, 37Gb on that partition, 1.86Ghz AMD athlon.
    thanks in advance for the help.

Re: new user noticing a few issues

It sounds as though something was broken during the installation process, did you verify the burn (with the burner), check the md5sum, and then select the Check CD for defects before installing?

Comment

ok, I just went ahead and reintalled the whole thing. programs now work, but i still get the static when a window loads, and I cant seem to connect to the internet. I tried to automatically connect with knetworkmanager, didnt work, so i tried to manually enter my ip, subnet, and gateway, didnt work. i assume i have to enter the username and password to my ISP but i cant even find where to enter it. good thing theres no help installed regarding this simple issue.

Comment

I can't help there, i'm afraid, there have been a few people with this and similar problems, but i have no ideas in your case, my router connects automatically.

Maybe if you search the Forum....

Good Luck.

Comment

To get red off the strange Window colors when opening (which I got as well).
          Disable the KDE's windows manager.

Menu -> System -> System Settings => Desktop => Enable desktop effects (un-check this option).

I had some problem with KDE's windows manager
          I've got a post "System Crash on Video Play & GUI Crash Randomly! [Solved]"
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098765.0

It seems that there is a bug in Kwin, or what's called KDE Windows manager.
          You can use Compiz instead.

As for the Internet, you cannot enter a static IP at the moment.

KNetworkManager does not recognise static IP connections at this time. This issue only occurs for some, and not all. (Bug 280762)
          http://www.kubuntu.org/news/8.10-release

Hope it helps.

Comment

turning off the desktop effects actually helped a lot. thanks!

but about the internet connection, if i dont get a connection automatically, how can i set it up? im just using a router and a dsl. no firewall or proxy or anything. knetworkmanager seems to suck a bit, i just closed it and now i cant reopen it for some reason...

Comment

I think if you've closed "knetworkmanager" you can just type it in the konsole & it should run again.

I've got a problem trying to connect to my wireless network, which I had to configure manually (Not manual IP though).

Click on the knetworkmanager in the task panel, then click on new connection.
              In my case I was using a laptop with Ethernet & Wireless. (eth0, eth1)
              I chose eth1 for wireless.
              For some unknown reason, my wireless network was not detected automatically & I had to enter the SSID (Service Set Identifier) manually, choose the encryption type & set the key & I was able to connect.

If you are using Ethernet then it might be a different story, unfortunately I cannot tell anything unless, It's not working anyways so you have nothing to loose, keep trying

Comment

Working...
              X