This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing dolphin and konqueror with Krusader

I'm an Windows user trying to get into Linux and have stumbled upon this issue. I use Total Commander in XP as an explorer replacement and want as much flexibility and functionality as can be fit into a file manager (without excess).

Dolphin doesnt cut it for me, not by a long shot. Havent had much time in Konqueror, but the fact that it's also a browser is a negative aspect for me since i use Firefox nightly trunk builds. I am also not a fan of 10 default installed apps with 90% functionality overlap...and this seems to be the case in many bloated linux distros (like Fedora).

Krusader seems to be right up my alley.

I'd like to remove all file managers and set Krusader as default. I have had some success with the latter, but the former left the system crashing often when i right click in menus and do other various tasks.

also, why does KDE have a "Default Applications" but does not have an option for default file manager?
    and why should defaults be configured in the inode/folder of the File Associations? also seems like 2 places to change near identical settings. I feel that a lot of system config can be reorganized to make more sense.

if anyone can help with removing both dolphin and konquereor and leaving the system stable, i would appreciate it.

thanks,
    Leon

Re: replacing dolphin and konqueror with Krusader

Krusader is a fine package -- I used to use it when I first started with Linux, but this new Dolphin in KDE 4.1 is pretty satisfactory for my purposes.

But, what's your deal with needing to remove the others? Just install Krusader and use it, and be happy!

If it's really important, you can open your favorite package management GUI (Adept Manager or Synaptic), or use apt-get at the CLI, and remove the Dolphin and Konqueror packages.

However (being a once and sometimes Windows user and suffering a certain predisposition to OCD behaviors myself) I will share with you a bit of advice: That manic need to nuke every app that doesn't have a known requirement is not real useful in Linux, and may indeed bring you to regrets. I would advise working with your system and the applications that you THINK you want, for awhile, before you launch that search and remove mission. Sometimes it's helpful to have an alternate method to do a task.

Comment

while true, the inability to set a universal default for all file-manager actions is a nuisance. i dont mind leaving some apps if they dont interfere, but it seems dolphin is quite integrated into KDE and will inevitably pop up when you arent expecting it to. even setting the default for the inode/folder to Krusader doesnt take care of everything.

and as i said, i uninstalled dolphin and different UI actions like right clicking started failing and crashing. doesnt seem right...i would much prefer a "the associated app cannot be located" error or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeoniya

the inability to set a universal default for all file-manager actions is a nuisance.
        Being obviously less of an afficionado of file management tools, I'll simply accept that as true.

However, two things that I have noticed that Linux is full of are text editors and file managers. So, before concluding that you're sunk because of Dolphin or Konqueror's limitations, check out some of the others. I know that Midnight Commander has its own legion of fans, for example. And then there's Nautilus in the Gnome domain, but it's available on the list in my package manager so maybe you want to give that a spin.

Comment

i already said that Krusader is what i'm looking for. this whole post hasnt been about how Dolphin or Konqueror are inadequate.

the post is about the inability in KDE to easily disassociate Dolphin/Konqueror from all duties and reassign Krusader to handle everything.

One of the main reasons i wanted to get away from windows is so that i'm not stuck with Windows Explorer as the shell and so that i could configure everything to work the way i work. I'm not switching to linux because it is free or because it is open source. Good software is worth paying for (including windows if it suits your needs), especially when all other equivalents are insufficient.

and now that i have tried both Fedora (GNOME) and Kubuntu (KDE), i'm starting to see that there isnt a simple way to switch out default components to their alternatives.

i do as much digging in config files (in windows) as the next person on boot-land.net and msfn.org, but i guess i expected KDE and GNOME to be much more polished than they seem to be. perhaps i'd enjoy XFCE or FluxBox more....for a tech person, KDE definitly is the way to go as far as exposed options, buit the search continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeoniya
            i already said that Krusader is what i'm looking for. this whole post hasnt been about how Dolphin or Konqueror are inadequate.

the post is about the inability in KDE to easily disassociate Dolphin/Konqueror from all duties and reassign Krusader to handle everything.

One of the main reasons i wanted to get away from windows is so that i'm not stuck with Windows Explorer as the shell and so that i could configure everything to work the way i work. I'm not switching to linux because it is free or because it is open source. Good software is worth paying for (including windows if it suits your needs), especially when all other equivalents are insufficient.

and now that i have tried both Fedora (GNOME) and Kubuntu (KDE), i'm starting to see that there isnt a simple way to switch out default components to their alternatives.

i do as much digging in config files (in windows) as the next person on boot-land.net and msfn.org, but i guess i expected KDE and GNOME to be much more polished than they seem to be. perhaps i'd enjoy XFCE or FluxBox more....for a tech person, KDE definitly is the way to go as far as exposed options, buit the search continues.
            Linux is certainly improving with each release. That said, I'm in agreement with you. Certain basics have been overlooked because of the Linux community biases. I still prefer OS2 over Linux or Windows, but see a future (albeit distant) for Linux and choose to support it for that reason. Please consider this is a grassroots community with their own biases, but very willing to learn and adapt. You may not have what you want today, but this community does listen. Furthermore, if they wish to grow beyond the current user base they will have to evolve their thinking about what the larger community wants and needs.

Comment

Working...
            X