This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

encryption thingy

Pardon the clumsy title, but I read somewhere that 8.10 was supposed to have an in-built encryption thingy. Well, I wouldn't mind it for the laptop, but where to find it?

Any ideas?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: encryption thingy

I took a quick browse of the 8.10 release notes for the RC and back to the Beta, and I don't see an encryption feature mentioned:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/IntrepidIbex/Beta/Kubuntu

Comment

Right you got me looking for myself (it is half time - English football). This is from the Ubuntu website. Am on the desktop at the mo so no need to try it yet.

Encrypted Private Directory

The ecryptfs-utils package was recently promoted to Ubuntu main, with support for EncryptedPrivateDirectory (per-user encrypted ~/Private directories).

To test, simply open up Terminal (by going Applications → Accessories → Terminal.) and type:

sudo apt-get install ecryptfs-utils auth-client-config

sudo auth-client-config -p ecryptfs_standard -t pam-auth,pam-session,pam-password

ecryptfs-setup-private
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Decent article about the whole concept and where it is going in the "Ubuntu Fridge #114".

Comment

Thanks, paxmark1

Comment

Working...
          X