X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display darker than Doom 3 (fixed)

Hi,

I installed the Intrepid beta a few days ago, and like every time I try a new version, there were a bunch of things wrong with it, but with hours on google, I was able to fix them. All except for one. My lcd (laptop) dims on startup, and nothing I do can get it to stay bright.

I've tried all combinations of guidance, kpower, powersaved, powerdevil, xbacklight, etc, and they all do about the same thing. If I open the power manager and change anything, even something not related to brightness, the screen will go back to default brightness for about a second, then go dim again. I had about the same problem with 8.04, but when I would open then cancel the battery/power manager, the screen would go bright and stay bright.

None of my hotkeys work under Kubuntu, but they never did so that's nothing new. I can use them to adjust the brightness before the desktop loads, but it just dims it again when the desktop loads.

I'm using Hasee (cheap from China) 64 bit laptop, Intel GM965 chipset, w/ x3100 video.

As is, my computer's unusable unless I'm sitting in a dark room with the blinds closed and lights off. An ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Display darker than Doom 3

First off, awesome choice of Subject text

A couple of things, for one which driver in particular are you running? I know I had tons of weirdness with my laptop (running an intel card, although an older one than yours) because for some reason Gutsy had selected an outdated Intel driver. Probably the easiest thing to check would be which xorg intel package is installed. Still, doesn't quite sound like a video driver problem...but what do I know.

Secondly, although I couldn't find much else in terms of similar problems out there, I did notice this: https://issues.foresightlinux.org/br...story-tabpanel So perhaps try what works for that person, although it's a bit of a different bug (although maybe not? Maybe Foresight's Gnome is just triggering the bug differently than Intrepid's KDE4 does?), just do something like ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to a virtual console then ctrl-alt-f7 to switch back to your KDE4 session and see if that does anything.

It's a perplexing problem, I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Re: Display darker than Doom 3

Thanks for the suggestion, but no change. I'm a bit of a noob, so I'm not sure, but I think I'm using the video-intel driver. For the hell of it, I uninstalled it and tried the vesa driver, but it wouldn't even start x, so I reinstalled the intel driver.

In the course of messing around, I also tried running glxgears, and discovered it's about 400 fps slower than with 8.04 (@~500 vs 900fps). Not sure if it's related or another problem, since other than being too dark to see, I've had no problems with videos or desktop effects or anything like that.

Comment

Re: Display darker than Doom 3 (fixed)

I lost track of all the different things I tried, or it may have been fixed by one of the updates, but whatever the case, it's working now. The display starts dimmed, but when I open the battery monitor then hit cancel it brightens, just like with 8.04.

Comment

Working...
        X