http://www.vmware.com/support/player..._player25.html

Okay, installation runs with a gui and works for HH AND II

Download from here:
    http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

Open a terminal in the folder you downloaded to and do:
    Code:
    Code:
    sudo sh VMware-Player-2.5.0-118166.i386.bundle
    This is for the current version. For a later version or 64bit you will have to replace:
    2.5.0-118166.i386
    accordingly.

This will uninstall any existing vmware player installation and a gui will pop up. Follow the wizard and give a few minutes.

Very sweet.

For more:
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_player250.pdf

and
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Vmware Player in Intrepid

Getting unity working with vmplayer 2.5.

Qoute:
    Using VMware Player Views : Using Unity View
    Using Unity View
    Unity view lets you to launch, access, and run guest applications alongside host applications.
    Install the latest version of VMware Tools to use this view. When you run VMware Player with certain guest operating systems, you can switch to Unity view to display applications directly on the host desktop and hide the virtual machine console view. The taskbar displays items for open applications in Unity view just as it does for open host applications.
    You cannot set virtual machine settings for Unity view in VMware Player. To configure the virtual machine settings you must run Workstation 6.5 or higher.
    You can use keyboard shortcuts to copy, cut, and paste text between applications on your host machine and virtual machine applications displayed in Unity mode. You can also drag and drop and copy and paste files between host and guest.
    Note
    If you save a file or attempt to open a file from an application in Unity mode, the file system you see is the file system inside the virtual machine. You cannot open a file from the host operating system or save a file to the host operating system.

When a virtual machine is in Unity view, you can access the virtual machine’s Start menu (for Windows virtual machines) or Applications menu (for Linux virtual machines).
    If you don't have your vmware guest configured for unity you will have to get a evaluation copy of vmware workstation 6.5 for linux:
    https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/log...=workstation-l

Download and install just like the player (see above) with:
    Code:
    sudo sh VMware-Workstation-6.5.0-118166.i386.bundle
    This will uninstall your vmplayer, don't worry you can reinstall later

Now just open your vmguest and go to options and edit the unity tool to your liking.

Close workstation, open player, run your guest os and active unity from the vmplayer drop down at the top of your screen.

Your guest desktop will disappear and you will have your xp (or whatever) menu button on top of your linux (Kubuntu) desktop. Choose the app yopu want to run and it will show on your native desktop.

Very sweet
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

WOW!

Fintan -- YOU DA MAN! This is just great! I thought I was weeks away from running VMWare Player on my new 2.6.27-5 kernel. This thing is just slick! I had my 8GB Win XP VM up and running 3 minutes after reading your post. Sure am glad you wrote it!

Thanks!

Comment

I thought I was weeks away from running VMWare Player on my new 2.6.27-5 kernel

I know what you mean. I had the same one until I asked google to help

Have you tried the unity tool?
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

Have you tried the unity tool?
          Nope -- I'm still rebuilding after having lost ethernet due to the e1000e module problem, and having to finally just throw in the towel and reinstall Kubuntu 8.10 and the new 2.6.27-5 kernel.

But, I am intrigued -- it sounds very cool. Maybe I'll give it a shot when everything else is solid. VMware Player 2.5 sure seems solid and fast.

Comment

Okay guys, help me out. I upgraded my HH KDE 4.1.2 to II KDE 4.1.2 today. I've uninstalled VMware Player and reinstalled per the command:
            Code:
            sudo sh VMware-Player-2.5.0-118166.i386.bundle
            According to the User Manual, one would then launch the Player from the icon or run vmplayer from the console. Either way results in the VMware Kernel Module Updater pop-up. It says that modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel, and that kernel headers for version 2.6.24-21-generic were not found. I'm at a loss as to where to point it to. What am I missing?
            Attached Files
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, I've got it working. VMware Player 2.5 in II, but it's (VMware Player) using the 'older' VMware Tools. I downloaded the VMware Server and extracted the windows.iso file and burned it to CD. This is the VMware Tools iso. But, while it appears to install from within my Win XP Pro VM, when it restarts the VM - a shutdown/restart - Win XP Pro crashes. I have to reboot into GG, where I can start my Win XP Pro VM, where it also crashes, but where I can use my arrow keys to select to boot into the last working session.

The cursor keys - arrow up/down/right/left - do not work correctly in my Win XP Pro VMware Player VM (as dibl has reported on), but do when running it through GG or HH.

Comment

Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 -- Latest Stuff Fix #2 takes care of the cursor key. 8)

Comment

Do any of you guys have some screen shots of what this looks like?
                  Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Yep.

I have Win XP installed on an 8G virtual disk. My Kubuntu desktop is 1600x1200, so I set the Win XP display size to 1280x1024, so it fits in one screen. I have Compiz, with 3D window effects, so it ends up looking like this:

Comment

That is one big pic, dibl

Thanks for the great work, Fintan. I know I should really install it and stop asking about the differences to virtualbox And this unity thing, although I don't understand it yet, sounds funky...

Right, am downloading now - aargghh, it wants my name and stuff...

I'll play chicken for now
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

Right, am downloading now - aargghh, it wants my name and stuff...

I'll play chicken for now
                        FWIW toad, in close to 2 years of running VMware Player, I've never received a piece of junk mail that I thought came from giving them my e-mail address and name. I just played it straight and answered the questions, and so far there have been no adverse consequences.

And of course you save the downloaded tarball carefully, for future re-use, before you run the installer.

Comment

Thanks for reassuring me, mate. Call me paranoid, but the less people/companies have my email the better. Having said that, I do have a "junk" address I am willing to hand out.

I actually would like to remaster an 8.04 and this is the perfect chance for trying out vmware and see whether it behaves
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hm, so I downloaded the 2.5 bundle, installed and when I start it I don't get asked to create a virtual machine It's either open an existing one or download one - the link just gets me to some sales blurb.

Please help a lost soul

Comment

VMware Player is only for well playing

For installing and setting up get the trial for workstation. It lasts 30 days but that should be long enough to set up a VM of XP and other OS's.

You will benefit from all the advanced features of the new version.

User player (comes with WS) to "play" it is much more responsive.

Once the trial is over just reinstall player and use your VM's.

Vmware server (free) still lags behind workstation on many accounts.
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X