X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System sounds but no sound on media playback

I have a clean install of 8.10 beta.

The system sounds are working fine e.g. when you login/logout, get notifications for incoming e-mail etc.

So, on the face of it there's no problem making noises yet when I play a CD/DVD or an mp3 file using VLC/Amarok I get nothing. There don't seem to be any controls in system settings to change things, any ideas?
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Re: System sounds but no sound on media playback

Ok,

This turned out to be a non-issue but here's a brief explanation in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Check the settings of the KMix volume control, there should be an icon on the panel, normally this will have a single slider for volume but if you click on the button labelled 'Mixer' it should open up a range of mixer controls, the number of controls depends on your sound card; if you've got more than one soundcard there will be a separate tab for each one.

You may see a 'Master' control but in my case there wasn't a Master but one labelled 'PCM' which was set to minimum by default. PCM sets the volume before the sound leaves the soundcard, once I increased this I could hear the audio and was able to adjsut the other controls until everything was to my satisfaction.

It still doesn't explain why originally I was able to hear system sounds but unable to hear media playback, I'm sure there's a logical reason but just at the moment it doesn't seem very logical to me.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

I'm having a similar problem. I get startup/shutdown tones, and my media files only have sound when played with dragon player. No sound when played with amarok, vlc, or mplayer. Games have no sound either. it was all working the other day, I dont know what ( if anything) I may have done. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I am suffering from the exact same symptoms as linoob.

Every control bar is all the way up in kmix.
        system settings > multimedia the proper video/audio card is selected.
        Have had the problem for three days now. have not updated in the past three days.
        Day 1 + 2 restart solved sound issue 100%
        Day 3 Restart does NOT resolve sound issue.

Any help, hints and or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks
        SK
        Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

I don't know about a new install of 8.10 (Intrepid) but certainly with 8.04 (Hardy), Amarok doesn't play mp3 files 'as is', it needs to download some libraries first.

If you open up Amarok and point it to a directory containing mp3s, it will ask if you would like it to do so.

In the requester that appears, there is a box to tick to not ask again, i don't know what happens if you inadvertently ticked that box initially - other than it won't ask a second time.

Comment

My problem at least is with media in general and not exclusively mp3.
            For example not sound via firefox, vlc, amarock, konqueror,..... with the exception of dragon and as stated above startup and shut down sounds.
            Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Nikola Tesla

Comment

Working...
            X