This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancelot, KDE 4.1 w/Quick Access and Adept 3.0

Congratulations to our devs and supports on this release. I would say that Kubuntu 8.10 is the most advance OS I have used in quite awhile. I love the kde 4 interface, and now with this release of Kubuntu, all the kde 3.5.old is gone making it a much more enjoyable kde 4 experience. I'm using it as my main OS now, even though it's only an Alpha release.
    First I would like to thank everyone who has put some effort behind Adept. With version 3, It has to be the most beautiful Package Manager to date. It's faster than synaptic and much more usable than previous releases. I have been a long time user of synaptic, even in the KDE environment, I have always preferred synaptic over adept, ClickNRun, Kpackage, Smart package Manager, etc... However, this release of Adept is fresh and pleasing to use. Once a few more of the bugs are squished, I will remove all traces of synaptic from my computer. The only thing is see missing, which I'm sure will be added, is a way to view the packages by status(Upgradeable, installed, not-install, new, etc....)
    The newst plamoid, Quick Access is awesome. I would have to say that it's one of the most useful plamoids released so far(not a fan of the folderview plasmoid) But as much as I like this, i think it some how could be intergrated into the main menu.....
    Which leads me to Lancelot. lancelot is the ****, no doubt about it. Much better than kickoff menu or the abandoned raptor menu. It's no click interface makes it fun the use. The Lancelot menu is exclusive to Linux and Vista, Xp nor Mac have anything that looks like it nor as simple to use. The no-click interface make it fun to use. I look for it in the future to get some more customization options, but as it stands, Lancelot is first in class. I hope that this menu replaces kickoff in kde 4.2 or atleast in the next release of kubuntu.
    However one minor issue I have with kubuntu is WHERE IS FIREFOX?!?!?! Can anyone give me one good reason why I have to open a package manager and download it? I mean it ships as default for many Distros,(PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE, and UBUNTU) so why not Kubuntu? And with that being said how come firefox is so ugly with kubuntu? I think it needs an extension, much like the one that ships with ubuntu, that offers some basic fixes. Like a custom Kubuntu page, A theme that actually matches KDE 4.1, you know what I'm talking about. It's not a big deal, it's just something i would think that would improve user experience.
    I'm not sure if this post went in the right area, but i'm sure it can be moved if needed. I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into my distro, thanks for everyone that makes it possible.

Re: Lancelot, KDE 4.1 w/Quick Access and Adept 3.0

or the abandoned raptor menu.
    Well - raptor is not abandoned. It has been stalled but lately there has been talks of the development status of the menu > The Raptor Archives.

At the moment the Raptor is just a black slab. Pretty mockups > Raptor-menu.org

I hope that this menu replaces kickoff in kde 4.2 or atleast in the next release of kubuntu.
    Monopoly is a bad thing. I hope that there will be several good launchers.

However one minor issue I have with kubuntu is WHERE IS FIREFOX?!?!?! Can anyone give me one good reason why I have to open a package manager and download it? I mean it ships as default for many Distros,(PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE, and UBUNTU) so why not Kubuntu?
    Firefox is (at the moment) an application that uses GTK (Gnome). There are plans to port Firefox to Qt > Topic: Interview: Qt Comes to Mozilla and Firefox.

Konqueror is the default KDE browser and so it is the default K(DE)ubuntu browser.

With the Konqueror there is an option to use webkit > Topic: Webkit
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by svpctech

And with that being said how come firefox is so ugly with kubuntu?
      Ugly, and fairly well broken on my system. Actually it doesn't look so bad, but it takes several minutes to become responsive, starts spawning little empty windows all over the screen, and barely responds to navigation.

I'm about to teach myself whether or not Konqueror can import Firefox bookmarks. :P

EDIT: YES, it can.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

And with that being said how come firefox is so ugly with kubuntu?
        Ugly, and fairly well broken on my system...
        But only ugly and broken using a window manager that was never released as part of an operating system... don't get me wrong, I have complained too, but was probably wrong for doing so in hindsight...

Comment

Can't complain about Intrepid until 8.10 is released! Beta testers are expected to suffer .....

Comment

About uglines

Is this new package helping ?

kcm-gtk-kde4 - tool to make your GTK+ apps look like KDE ones.
            kde-gtk4 allows you to change style, icons, font of GTK+ applications in
            KDE 4.

You will be able to configure kde-gtk4 using System Settings.
            It will install:
            gdk-imlib11
            gtk-engines-qtpixmap
            gtk2-engines-pixbuf
            gtk2-engines-qtpixmap
            imlib-base
            libglib1.2ldbl
            libgtk1.2
            libgtk1.2-common

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

Firefox is (at the moment) an application that uses GTK (Gnome). There are plans to port Firefox to Qt > Topic: Interview: Qt Comes to Mozilla and Firefox.

Konqueror is the default KDE browser and so it is the default K(DE)ubuntu browser.

With the Konqueror there is an option to use webkit > Topic: Webkit
              Well I have to say one browser I miss is Opera. It looks good no matter what OS or DE you run it in, how come ubuntu/kubuntu doesn't ship it as a secondary/backup As far as i know, opera is not even in the repos. I belive that PCLinuxOS ships with it, and Opensuse might to(if not it's in the repos)

With the minor browser issue aside, I think that Kubuntu will start making some big progress. KDE is sooooooooo much easier to use than gnome. I have no clue how something so ugly as ubuntu is a mainstream distro. I have done a couple of experiments with linux in the "real" world, I would have to say that KDE is preferred(3.5 and 4.1 are chosen over gnome in almost any given situation) I'm going to start a website pretty soon, for many reasons, but i would like to help push, encourage, and share Kubuntu with the rest of the world

Comment

As far as i know, opera is not even in the repos....
                It is in mine.

Comment

> OperaBrowser
                  Instructions to install & configure Opera 9.50 in Ubuntu.
                  You can use either official repositories for Ubuntu from Canonical or you can use the generic Opera repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                    You can use either official repositories for Ubuntu from Canonical or you can use the generic Opera repository.

I guess thats why i might have not see it. i changed my repos when getting kde 4.1..... but it still bepuzzles me why kde refuses to have firefox as it's defult browser. however i guess with konqueror's sole purpose of being a web browser now, it could turn out very interesting. maybe we'll see a konqueror browser using gecko engine in the future.....

Comment

...but it still bepuzzles me why kde refuses to have firefox as it's defult browser.
                      I agree. Firefox is the app that introduces most people to open source and is probably the one program that new-to-linux users look for first on their LiveCD... it really doesn't make much sense not to have it there by default, IF a goal of the distro is more users.

Edit: I think you meant "why kubuntu refuses to have firefox..." instead of kde. If you stand by the original statement, then I have to disagree.

Comment

I have to confess to migrating users from Windows to Kubuntu via common apps they are used to! I would take it 1 step further & suggest Thunderbird as well. When I demo my machine the 1st things I show them are Firefox, Thunderbird & Pigeon, If they can migrate & be productive & lesson the learning curve it makes the switch so much easier.

Cary
                        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Actually i find that users adjust to the linux environment much better than the new vista. One such example is example is my girlfriend. she has little to no computer skills(She told me she knew how to use the computer, which in turn meant she could really only use myspace it's a sad story) Her sister got her a laptop off ebay and she gave it to me to install the wireless card. It came with Windows Vista, however, she had not used vista before. So trying to have some fun, i thought i would install kubuntu 8.04 with kde 4.1 to see it she would know the difference, needless to say she did not know which one was which, however, she did prefer kubuntu over vista. this laptop only had a gig of ram, so the vista performance was rather poor. She now actually loves using linux vs windows. things like adept where she can download programs without ever having to worry about viruses made kubuntu a win-win situation. She said linux just made sense. I was so proud of her.

I however, did not push thunderbird or pigeon. I have various reasons, but the foremost reason is because web based is the way of the future. With gmail, you can check your email anywhere, any computer, and there is ZERO setup. Since she only has yahoo messenger, i bookmarked webmessenger.yahoo.com in both windows and linux, so that she will never need a desktop program. history and features and the user interface is the same regardless windows or linux. I also put icons in her menu for google docs. this away she can edit the docs where ever she's at, and she doesn't need a flash drive to carry around, and worry about saving in different formats, seeing as microsoft has it's own format while openoffice has another. Web based apps are the only way to go, thats what i always demo with my computer.

Originally posted by caryb
                          I have to confess to migrating users from Windows to Kubuntu via common apps they are used to! I would take it 1 step further & suggest Thunderbird as well. When I demo my machine the 1st things I show them are Firefox, Thunderbird & Pigeon, If they can migrate & be productive & lesson the learning curve it makes the switch so much easier.

Cary

Comment

Kubuntu have made the decision to be a KDE (and QT) specific distro. so other than OpenOffice, everything is, as expected, a KDE application. There is also the issue of space on the install cd, in that there really isn't any room left on it for Firefox, and I think that might still be the case even for the QT port, once it is stable enough.

Now, once the new Koffice becomes stable, maybe we can switch to that, remove OOo and have some extra room......
                            but then people would complain about not having OOo :
                            Konqueror is more than adequate as a browser (I recently switched to it as my main one) but KOffice isn't quite there in comparison to OOo, at least until it gets to a final release

Comment

Appears Kubuntu has adopted a "goin it alone strategy". While both Ubuntu and Suse appear to be using a big tent. Kubuntu, my first linux distro four years ago, Firefox and OO the two best opsource applications not good enuf for Kubuntu? Diggin themselves a hole I'd say. Kde 3.5.9 is still the best desktop (should have been a fork) and 4.1's loss of function and bugs leave a lot to be desired. 8.10 alpha is a far behind 8.04 alpha despite what you fanboys say.

Comment

Working...
                              X