This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid Ibex exhibits new phenomena today

Welllllllll, lots of updates yesterday and today.

For the last 2 or 3 weeks, starting shortly after I installed Intrepid, I have had no Alt-F2, but Compiz, Emerald, and other packages were very stable.

Today, after updating and dist-upgrading, I have Alt-F2 -- great! But no glx, no compiz, no emerald.

I think maybe the Nivida driver is half-broken, maybe. I've got an X server, but other things seem like there's not a valid driver in place. I'll do some experiments and see if I can shed any light on the situation.

Alt-F2 is a nice feature -- I'll have to re-aquaint myself with it!

EDIT: Sooooooooo, I downloaded and installed the new 177-67 Nvidia driver. Couple of error conditions were reported by the installer, but it went to completion and appears to be working correctly. Compiz and Emerald are working correctly. Alt-F2 is .... GONE AGAIN!

So, my conclusion for the moment is as follows: "On Intrepid Ibex, Compiz disables Alt-F2 functionality."

At least, that's how it appears to behave on my rig.

Re: Intrepid Ibex exhibits new phenomena today

Originally posted by dibl

EDIT: Sooooooooo, I downloaded and installed the new 177-67 Nvidia driver....
    Are you aware that 177.68 [Beta] is out already?
    Phoronix link

"While the minor version was just bumped by one, this release has a fair number of changes."

Comment

Yes, but I can't find it on the Nvidia site. Do you have a link to the binary installer?

Happily, it appears the difference from -67 to -68 is more relevant to the 6 and 7 series of cards, versus my 8800GTS:

The 177.68 release will fix the RENDER corruption that was previously experienced on the GeForce 6 and 7 graphics processors.

Comment

I believe that Phoronix article had the direct link at the bottom...

Comment

I looked at that -- I think it is the source file, including the "binary blob". But I'm not smart enough to know what to do with it once I copy it onto my machine. I've always downloaded the Nvidia installer (when I couldn't get Envy to do the job for me).

Comment

When you had Alt-F2, did you notice if the command "kdesudo kate" worked? I know I still have to specify the direct path to kate (or any binary I want to run with kdesudo). I figured that by now if HH 8.04 that would have been addressed and since it isn;t I was wondering if II 8.10 has addressed that issue.

Comment

No, Moon, I didn't have it long enough to do the experiment. :P

Comment

I don't run Compiz & my alt + f2 is working great! every time I install Compiz I get that strange Windowz behavior but in white! (minus the exception fud on the screen) I'm running the 177-67 Nvidia driver

Cary
                The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Maybe I'm weird, but I never, ever, use alt + F2. I know about it... but wouldn't have known it wasn't working if not for trying it after reading Dibl's message here.

Making me weirder yet - I've never, ever, used kdesudo.

Here's what I do: I run Yakuake. when I want to run a command, I just F12 for the window and enter the command (+ "&", if I care that it's running in the foreground for that console session). If I want to sudo something, I F12, sudo the command, then enter my password (+ hit ctrl-Z and type 'bg 1' if I care that it's in the foreground).

Am I missing something here? Is there something you guys are doing that's quicker via Alt-F2? I'd rather run most things from a konsole - because I might get diagnostic info if it crashes.
                  Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

It's just a matter of personal preference. The run dialog does more than just running applications. It can bring up ksysguard quickly, switch users, act as a calculator, go through your contacts, etc. It's a pretty versatile little application.

I guess I'm just used to it. I rarely use the K menu, and yakuake usually has mc running in the foreground for me.

Comment

For me, Alt-F2 was always a good quick way to run certain apps at Root level. That is before they broke that portion. Otherwise, it does offer a lot more now and is a very versatile tool.

Comment

Re: Intrepid Ibex exhibits new phenomena today -- MORE!

Wowzeeeee -- Adept Updater worked this morning! How cool! So I tried to open Adept Manager, which still is without an icon in the System menu, and it works too! Well, except for the repository management thing. Here it is after I did "fetch":

Comment

I like that new look to Adept-Manager.

Comment

Yep, I think it's going to look and work fine. It's easy to forget that we're still 7 weeks or so pre-release -- it's amazing that Intrepid holds together so well, at this point.

Comment

would you say compiz installation is the same for hh? I'd like to install it.

running ati radeon 9000 - open source drivers.
                              - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Working...
                              X