X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz integration

Hi all,

I do not care for Gnome at all, but I will say that Compiz is integrated extremley well with it. Have the dev's so far been able to get Compiz to integrate into KDE 4 better than in 3.5.9?

Mike
    txWingMan

Re: Compiz integration

No.

In its current state, the "Advanced Desktop Effects" wizard sometimes responds to a click on the button to install Compiz, with an admin password entry window, and sometimes not. If you get the window and add the password, then it goes away and dies anyway.

However, installing the compiz packages in the conventional manner, with apt-get, did allow me to set it up and run it ... until my Nvidia driver died. :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      No.

In its current state, the "Advanced Desktop Effects" wizard sometimes responds to a click on the button to install Compiz, with an admin password entry window, and sometimes not. If you get the window and add the password, then it goes away and dies anyway.

However, installing the compiz packages in the conventional manner, with apt-get, did allow me to set it up and run it ... until my Nvidia driver died. :P
      LOL. Good 'ol Nvidia. I have the 8600GT card, myself.
      txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txWingMan

I have the 8600GT card, myself.
        Which driver version are you using -- 173 or 177?

Comment

I have the 8600GT card, myself.
          Which driver version are you using -- 173 or 177?
          txWingMan

Comment

Thanks. I had it all working with 177 long enough yesterday to take a screen shot, but after dist-upgrade last night I re-booted into a black screen and broken KDM -- something went haywire with the driver and/or KDM. I'm going to boot recovery mode when I get home from work tonight, and try re-installing the driver. If 177 doesn't work, I'll try 173.

Comment

Thanks. I had it all working with 177 long enough yesterday to take a screen shot, but after dist-upgrade last night I re-booted into a black screen and broken KDM -- something went haywire with the driver and/or KDM. I'm going to boot recovery mode when I get home from work tonight, and try re-installing the driver. If 177 doesn't work, I'll try 173.
              Don,
              I am not running Compiz at all nor am I running KDE 4. Just an FYI in case you misunderstood me. I am running KDE 3.5.9 using the Nvidia driver for my 8600GT card. I had tried Compiz before under KDE, but didn't like the way it worked as compared to how well it works under Gnome. I am hoping by the time 8.10 is released, Compiz will work much better under under KDE 4.

Mike
              txWingMan

Comment

I am not running Compiz at all nor am I running KDE 4.
                Got it -- no problem, I just like to know who's having problems with the drivers and current Kubuntu releases. Thanks!

Comment

I'm using the non prop nvidia driver 177 on my Stinkpad, as soon as I install compiz I get the dreaded white screen of death on my NVS 140M

Cary
                  The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Working...
                  X