This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10

Is Kubuntu 8.10 going to offer a choice between KDE 3 and KDE 4? Or is 4 the only option?

Mike
    txWingMan

Re: Kubuntu 8.10

KDE 4 only.

> Topic: Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1

> Topic: howto use kde3 in intrepid?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

OK. Thanks, Rog!
      txWingMan

Comment

KDE 4 system, what about apps?l. I'm looking for a pure KDE 4 install. I'm downloading the alt. alph4 now from the 13th. Perhaps I should have dl'ed the daily...

first post here!
        - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Intepid Ibex, as Rog131 restates, is KDE 4 exclusively. But, II 8.10 is still Alpha, so expect "issues" and even some breakage as it is developed.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Loaded a Daily of 8.10 from 8/19. Install went flawless.

First impressions
            • clean... It's the cleanest interface I've ever seen on Linux, since XFce.
            • It is a mixed environment of 3.5.9 and 4.1 apps in a 4.1 interface
            • Aptitude is not installed?
            • Oxygen describes the icons perfectly
            • I'm not a big konqueror person, but I'm trying.

I'd been playing with 4.1 on Debian Sid, but it was still broken in a 'couple' of places. I always look for a pure interface experience and do not like customizations made by distros. Hopefully Kubuntu won't be to intrusive.
            - kubuntu 11.10 | linux User #231826 | kubuntu user #23718<br />- x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19&quot; 16:10, 19&quot; 4:3] | 120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W wrapped in aluminum

Comment

Second impressions
              • Adept is acting up, have heard tale of this - will not use!
              • Synaptic is bringing in a load of stuff, works in 3.5.9, should work here, huh?
              • Haven't figured out 2x click window bar = shade
              • kdepim - lovely. This worked well on sid.
              • OpenOffice is installed > It'd be nice if KOffice was the default, guess they're waiting on 2.0, sure!
              • Amarok for kde4!! Looks awesome and actually plays music, but very buggy incomplete.
              • Desktop settings... nice. I'm not one for photography on the desktop, but this rocks. Think silvered glass like in ancient times.

Okay enough slack jawed amazement.
              Good Stuff, gotta go to work

Comment

One last word, sorry for blathering.

Font rendering in Firefox is still much more crisp than in Konqueror. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Am trying the OpenSymbol font in konq, a bit better than the default san-sarif.

Comment

So wait, NO choice at all? One must use KDE4 instead of KDE3? Or do you just mean that kubuntu-desktop only provides KDE4 now and the installs give you KDE4 . . . KDE3.5.9 is still in the repositories, right?

Currently I have things set up on my main box for KDE, KDE4, GNOME, FVWM and Fluxbox, so yes, I'm a bit of a Desktop-Environment/Window-Manager junkie, so I won't pretend that my own desires are commonplace. But I think it would be a serious issue to outright disable KDE3 . . . and personally for my own needs with my dual-monitor TwinView setup right now KDE4 isn't quite there yet; far better now...doesn't constantly crash, haha, and I love much of how it does things, but . . .

(This being said I do understand some of the technical hurdles, and actually I'm kindof annoyed that more decisions didn't go forwards for making KDE3 and KDE4 co-existable on the KDE dev side...)

Comment

Intrepid is KDE4 exclusively. There will be some apps that are still kde3, those not quite finished in time for the the Ibex's release. Konversation is one, Amarok is another, though it may be ready after 8.10 is released.

Plenty of thought and discussion was made concerning the decision to move to KDE4. The real crux of the issue is simply we don't have the manpower to maintain both, and at some point it will become too difficult to work on both. The devs do plan to package updates for KDE3 in Hardy as they are released, just as they do now through the PPA archives.

Comment

Damn. I was hoping I could have both the stable smoothness of KDE3 and the shiny newness of KDE4 . . . if I have to choose one or the other then it's KDE3 for me (hell, I just ctrl-alt-f9'd back into my running KDE4 session and noticed it had crashed...so on an NVIDIA/AMD64 system it's certainly not there yet), guess that means I'm stuck on Hardy for the foreseeable future, time to brush up on my compiling skills eh?

Comment

Since I have been using KDE4 (1/2 way through Hardy) I have grown to really like it, I had to use KDE3 the other day & it was very much like using NT4 then going back to NT3.51

Not posted as flame-bait Cary
                        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I have been trying to no avail to install 8.10 in a VM (Virtualbox). I think I read somewhere that VM is still a problem with 8.10. I'm sure having an Nvidia 8600GT card doesn't help much either at this point.
                          txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
                            So wait, NO choice at all? One must use KDE4 instead of KDE3? Or do you just mean that kubuntu-desktop only provides KDE4 now and the installs give you KDE4 . . . KDE3.5.9 is still in the repositories, right?
                            The first answer is "no", you don't have to upgrade since Hardy still works, and you don't even have to choose kubuntu as the distribution. openSUSE 11.1 will have KDE3.5.10 shipped.

The second answer is still "no", KDE 3.5.9 is not there, KDE3.5.10 is in the repository instead, so it is possible to install individual KDE3 applications into Intrepid's KDE4 desktop environment and run those KDE3 apps inside KDE4.

Have a KDE 3.5.10 desktop in Intrepid is possible but it will not be an easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz

The first answer is "no", you don't have to upgrade since Hardy still works, and you don't even have to choose kubuntu as the distribution. openSUSE 11.1 will have KDE3.5.10 shipped.

The second answer is still "no", KDE 3.5.9 is not there, KDE3.5.10 is in the repository instead, so it is possible to install individual KDE3 applications into Intrepid's KDE4 desktop environment and run those KDE3 apps inside KDE4.

Have a KDE 3.5.10 desktop in Intrepid is possible but it will not be an easy task.
                              The first answer is a bit disingenuous; although I suppose it'll be better since other than for KDE the current Hardy Heron is LTS, just because it will "continue to work" doesn't mean it's going to be just as good as an Intrepid Ibex install in every way...well, maybe if II introduces enough regressions like the currently broken NetworkManager it'll be on par then but lets not kid ourselves that using older releases is just as good. I *am* considering going over to Debian, but I really am a fan of (K)Ubuntu . . . and I'm not a big fan of OpenSUSE. Plus I've literally been running some of these installs for years, it's not a trivial investment of time and effort to migrate to a different distro (or even just a different install).

Secondly, heh, yeah it had slipped my mind that it was .10 now, gotten very used to saying 3.5.9. But, if 3.5.10 IS in the repos, and all the 3.5.10 apps remain there, then that is actually very different from what I've been hearing; I might lament the lack of the 3 desktop, and so far TwinView and KDE4 haven't played terribly nice, and so forth...but if such things as kicker and the KDE3 version of yakuake and etc etc remain that's at least halfway, and I do expect KDE4 to improve (hell, it's gone a LONG way in the past year), just for me, at the moment, KDE4 doesn't work well enough to want to use as my primary desktop. It seems premature.

However I do intend to try it out soon on my eldest running computer....that one's been running a continuous Kubuntu install since the medieval days of 5.04, and I've upgraded it pre-release every time I've learned a lot about how to fiddle and fix KDE/Kubuntu through refusing to fresh-install that thing, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if I'll learn to love 8.10's KDE4 somewhere along the line, but for now it sounds like I'm better off sticking with 8.04 on my desktop for quite awhile. Once the NetworkManager regressions get sorted out I might spring for 8.10 on my netbook (AA1) though.

I really do intend on giving it a fair shake, I just don't entirely comprehend why the KDE team couldn't have decided to let KDE3 and KDE4 coexist even if they didn't plan on doing any work on KDE3 ever again.

To be clear, I don't at all blame the Kubuntu devs, and I still love KDE overall.

Hmm. I wonder how well the snazzy KDE4 apps will run in Fluxbox?

Comment

Working...
                              X