This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test drive of Intrepid 32 Alpha3-help no steering wheel----

Intrepid has a long long way to run yet.
    Oh well so much for the test drive, talking from Hardy now---- intrepid alpha 3 after reboot red screen bars etc---- lost its menu after rebooting with the classic menu option
    so I had no steering wheel to drive it any further---ho hum--maybe I missed something---so if you want classic view ---beware.

1) Terminal aborts trying to install more than a few packages.

2)Adept is borked.

3)K3b is broken due to broken packages

4)No video drivers as they are broken, and with an older ATI radeon X300 a spectacular deep blood red boot screen with white pixelations until the desktop finally appears.
    Put this card in as an Nvidia card gave a blank screen with intrepid alpha 2

3)Kaffeine is still a mess, as it is in Hardy, too dumb to install codecs which are present. Debian's Lenny and unstable package is still intelligent though.

4)Kong on a positive note--- at last adjusts font size properly though in Kubuntu---amazing.

4)Menu too me is too complex and not intuitive---put it back to a more sensible classic view option which thank goodness was there-------BUT it turned out to be a poisoned option ----BEWARE

I wonder if KDE 4.x will indeed be but a fork in the road as some fear.
    Certainly it will need a classic desktop option to allow a sane clear view of things which
    KDE has been renowned for up 'till now.

If things do not turn out KDE may founder, being too top heavy and demanding for its own good.
    We may be forced to change our linux desktop-- I hope not ----a tragedy.
    Let us hope KDE remains as simple as it can be but not simpler than it should be.
    We live in hope still.

Regards
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Test drive of Intrepid 32 Alpha3-help no steering wheel----

I'm waiting for a couple more Alpha versions of Intrepid to come out before I'll install it -- maybe September. You have to expect trouble with these early pre-Beta releases. However, the problems you described sound like KDE4 problems, rather than Intrepid Linux functions.

On KDE4, don't hold your breath that KDE is going to "change their mind" or "go back" or anything like that:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...80710131440951

I think the classic "desktop" interface for computing was already doomed -- desktops are for offices, not music studios, video editing labs, or where you watch TV. Just my two cents' worth ....

Comment

I haven't even looked an II yet. I've dove so far into 4.1 on HH that I don't even think I will. I agree with Dibl though. If I do, I will wait for the Alpha before RC/Beta.

Comment

I'm running Intrepid alpha 3 on my laptop as my primary machine (I know don't use on production machines blah blah) for the most it is really good. KDE4 has regressed badly in the ability to maintain (i.e. network management, printer management etc) some of the old apps need updating to work in KDE4 environment. But only time will fix these.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Working...
        X