Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System Settings, Adept, Synaptic, Menu...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Settings, Adept, Synaptic, Menu...

Listing the following bugs I'm experiencing to see if others are and to request suggestions if there are any. I'm not exactly a newbie but I'm definitely an amateur so take everything I write using that filter. May not be smart for an amateur to "play" with Alpha software but I'm crazy like that.

System Settings - Whenever I try to alter the desktop settings, I am "kicked out" to the login screen where I then get stuck in an infinite loop (I sign in and then am returned to the login screen, ad infinitum). None of the other system settings seem to have this affect, thankfully. Being inexperienced, I have to re-install Intrepid to be able to use it again.

Adept - I saw a post elsewhere about fixing the root password problem. I now do not get error messages when I use my password for Adept but the program still is not working for me. It looks like it is loading and then disappears/crashes.

Synaptic - I've been using Synaptic as my package handler. It was working fine until today. Now, it will still install and remove software but gets "stuck" at the end. I have to "kill" the process to get it to stop. Everything installs correctly, it just won't end its process normally.

Menu - Is there a way to edit the menu in KDE 4.1? I like the new menu (and KDE 4.1) but I'd like to be able to alter it slightly (some software is listed in more than one menu, change names, etc...).

Display - I was having a problem with my display settings not being remembered when I restarted the system, though I have started running krandrtray and that has taken care of the problem.

Overall, I like Kubuntu but I still don't think it's evolved into a system that will be adopted by the average computer user and don't see it being there soon, really. Its fun (and frustrating) for explorers like me though I wouldn't recommend it (even the stable versions) to any of my friends.

Re: System Settings, Adept, Synaptic, Menu...

Standard warning
    This is an alpha/beta/rc (pre-) release. Pre-release versions of programs are NOT encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or for anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent, breakage. Pre-release versions of programs ARE recommended for developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs (or are curious).

Adept

Adept has been and is still (last time i checked) broken > Earlier: KCrash: Application 'adept_manager' crashing...

Synaptic (zombie mode)

Do you get ? (was here)
    ps -e | grep synaptic
    6225 ? 00:00:08 synaptic
    6244 ? 00:00:00 synaptic <defunct>
    That disappeared here - i don't know why it started and why it stopped . The Joys of the development version ?

Menu - Is there a way to edit the menu in KDE 4.1?

Have you tried to right click the K button ?

Overall, I like Kubuntu but I still don't think it's evolved into a system that will be adopted by the average computer user and don't see it being there soon, really.
    Well - The KDE 4

> KDE 4.0 is NOT a failure; it is a place to start
    > 11 Myths About KDE 4

KDE 4 will need time; so maybe

KDE 4.0 (alpha)
    KDE 4.1 (beta)
    KDE 4.2 (RC)
    KDE 4.3 (Final)

> KDE 4.2 Feature plan

More links > Intrepid Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.1
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

My synaptic doesn't even start any more since yester day.

Code:
      ps -e | grep synaptic
      gives me nothing.

and synaptic from the terminal:
      gives no output but starts synaptic in user only mode

starting with alt+F2--->kdesudo synaptic gives me a normal synaptic but in "zombie" mode.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Okay, maybe I do qualify as a newbie. That is embarrassing. I thank you for removing my blinders and reminding me of the obvious. :P

Have you tried to right click the K button ?

Comment

Working...
        X