This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost network on wired desktop connection with recent upgrades

We have three computers here. Upgrades in the last couple of weeks have knocked out networks on all three!

I have the laptops working by purging knetworkmanager.

The desktop was a few weeks behind on updating, I think. Then it, too, had the problem of needing to restart /etc/init.d/networking before the network would actually come up.

I stripped knetworkmanager from it, too, and it worked for a couple of days, but now it comes up unable to talk to the network (but it knows its IP). Switching to dhcp didn't help. Bizarrely, the knetworkmanager .deb isn't in the cache.

I suppose that it *could* be the case that, coincidentally, the ethernet chip blew *and* something in the hardware has stopped it from recognizing the usb keyboard in grub, all at the same time I upgraded to software that stopped foobared networking on two laptops, but . . .

hawk
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: lost network on wired desktop connection with recent upgrades

Was it able to obtain an address via DHCP? If so It is not the hardware.

Comment

Re: lost network on wired desktop connection with recent upgrades

No, dhcp didn't work either. (and before I ran "dpkg --configure -a", it would kernel panic on "ifup eth0"!).

An hour later, I turned it on again, and dhcp did work. I'll try static ip again tomorrow.

At least the escape key works on that machine . . .

hawk
      Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
      X