This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winxp Network

I have 2 Xp boxes and 1 Dual boot with Kubuntu 8.1 Kde 4.1 Winxp Can't see Kubuntu Box Ip 192.168.1.97 assigned by DSL router ip 192.168.1.1. From winxp I can ping 192.168.1.97 and
    nslookup shows computer name Gil-Kubuntu with the IP 192.168.1.1. Also I can ping Gil-Kubuntu.
    net view \\ gil-kubuntu or 192.168.1.97 returns "Network Path not Found"
    I checked my dsl router and it shows all 3 Ip addresses. My dsl router shows DHCP Configuration
    starts 192.128.1.15 end 192.168.1.100. Also same with DNS.

I'm fairly new with Kubuntu . I used to use Unix at work back in the late 80's.

any help?

Thanks,
    Gilgib
    PS If needed I can also post interfaces,smb.conf,dhclient,and route
    Attached Files

Re: Winxp Network

I will defer to more experienced Kubuntu network people, but my guess is you are caught in the Microsoft networking implementation of their Workgroup and Domain software.

You need to tell Windows that the home network has a Workgroup, example: MyHome. Then you need some sort of software, for Example SAMBA, to setup the Kubuntu box for being able to talk to a Windows box as a 'fake' Microsoft work-group host. Note: SAMBA is about 3 revisions behind Microsoft's networking; your XP box will have to be the Workgroup master browser. There are other problems with being able to see you Kubuntu box in Windows XP MyNetwork Places.

Phil

Comment

My workgroup on xp boxes have been already setup and working. I can browse xp workgroup using
      smb and Konqueror. XP cannot connetc to Kubuntu. I have Samba-Client and I Set-up smb.conf
      See Attachments

Thanks
      Gilgib

Comment

You need a samba server to share files from Kubuntu to your Windows machines.

"sudo aptitude install samba"

should do it. Afterword, "ps axf" should show something like this
        8414 ? S<s 0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
        8418 ? S<s 0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
        8422 ? S< 0:00 \_ /usr/sbin/smbd -D

You might then have to set some smb passwords. Probably you need to be root to create the smbpasswd for your username. later you can change it as that user.
        "sudo smbpasswd username"

Comment

Ok, I did not previously examine your original post attachments.

Please ignore my post if you are able from Kubuntu to transfer a file (and then open it) for example a jpeg file, from your XP boxes onto your Kubuntu box.

Comment

Thanks mando_hacker I Installed the Samba full package and did son tweaking on smb.conf
            and everything works.
            Being New to Kubuntu I saw part of the Samba package installed anf I thought that's all
            I needed.
            GilGib

Comment

Working...
            X