X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about wireless connection

Hi,

I have two questions regarding wireless connections in Kubuntu. First, if I can connect to wifi in Ubuntu should I be able to connect to Kubuntu? Just curious as I thought Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same things just different desktop managers.

Secondly, I can't connect to wifi in Kubuntu... I can see the networks and click connect but when I do it try's to connect for about a minute then stops and nothing happens, no error messages or anything. I've never had a problem connecting in Ubuntu and if it helps any I've experienced almost the exact same problem in openSuSE.

Thanks

Re: Question about wireless connection

Originally posted by aaddron
    I have two questions regarding wireless connections in Kubuntu. First, if I can connect to wifi in Ubuntu should I be able to connect to Kubuntu? Just curious as I thought Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same things just different desktop managers.
    you are correct there just the desktop is diffrent the underlying system such as your drivers and kernel are the same...

Originally posted by aaddron
    Secondly, I can't connect to wifi in Kubuntu... I can see the networks and click connect but when I do it try's to connect for about a minute then stops and nothing happens, no error messages or anything. I've never had a problem connecting in Ubuntu and if it helps any I've experienced almost the exact same problem in openSuSE.
    for some reason the knetworkmanager in kde4 does not work correctly all the time.
    i would recommend that you use wicd to manager your network connections.

see this thread for more info
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099187.0
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

That did the trick thanks!

Comment

Hi There!

Sorry I'm starting it again, but couldn't find solution anywhere yet...

Maybe cause I'm using Lucid (10.04) on amd64 note or things chaged, I'm not able to use opendns here as default. Can only do that if I keep changing /etc/resolv.conf manually after each lease.

Knetworkmanager haven't an option to set dns manually, and I had tried:

install wicd from http://apt.wicd.net (replaces k/networkmanager). It has the option to use "global" DNS so opendns servers could be specified there.
        Wicd don't see my onda zte mf110(mf636).

kdesudo kate /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf & prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220; & lease {option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;}
        I did it but it doesn't work.

I'd also created files resolv.conf-backup, resolv.conf.ppd-backup and 99-localdns as it must be.
        I can not identify last program that changed /etc/resolv.conf (it would be usefull).

Could somebody help me??

tx in advance

Comment

Working...
        X