This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't use 2 wired connections at once

Okay, I used to be able to do this with previous kubuntus, it will need a bit of explaination though.

I have 3 network interfaces
    eth0 - integrated with my mainboard, wired
    eth1 - PCI slot network card, wired
    wlan0 - another PCI card, wireless

I don't plan on using wireless, so let's pretend it doesn't exist.

Now, my eth0 is connected to world, gets IP trough dhcp and works fine. Hey, it's why I'm able to write this post.
    But I want to connect my eth1 to my laptop. So I get cable, yeah, it's right kind of cable and connect them... Well, and normally I would set IPs for both computers and they would work pretty fine, but somehow I just CAN'T do that on KDE4.2. I tried some things, but I failed miserably.

There's problem number 2 - after managing to connect both PCs I want to let my laptop use internet connection I get trough eth0 on this computer. Every time I installed linux it was pretty hard to do, I never learned it well enough to do it without tutorials... and I really really hope this time it will be possible to do it just with few clicks without need to actually edit some scary config files.

Re: Can't use 2 wired connections at once

Ok, I see it isn't working. Where else can I get help/support from? You see, I have new shiny OS and cannot use it because one thing just doesn't work, it's almost 2 days already.

Comment

Have you edited the /etc/network/interfaces file, or are you trying to use NetworkManager?

You can add the entries to the interfaces file:

auto eth0 eth1

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.192.192.2
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateware xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(there's more you can do but you'll need to "man interfaces")

I've gotten more than one inet interface up at a time so I know its possible.
      Another note: getting sharp with the group because no one answers may not get you any *more* answers down the road. (take it from experience). :P

Comment

Well, it wouldn't get me any more answers than 0.

Well, those files are pretty scary, even more when you don't remember where to even start looking. If someone just answered "You idiot, just edit interfaces file!" then I would be done week ago. Linux has to, one day, get configuration of everything typical user might want(and sharing your connection is something typical user might want) easy.

Well, I edited my interfaces file a bit and it seems to work. I used firestarter to do dhcp and connection sharing for me. It's too much trouble otherwise.

Anyway I discovered that init 5 is still unstable on my machine and I have to sit on init 3. It's still better than in previous linuxes, there init 5 would freeze on me in 5 seconds tops.

Comment

If you are too scared to configure you computer properly you should just use winblows.
          Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

If you have enough free time to bash other users, please use it to help them. Haven't seen you helping me configure my computer and getting over all those scary files. Last time I did everything by hand it took me over 1 month. No, thank you, I'm not repeating that.

Comment

Originally posted by Areinu
              Okay, I used to be able to do this with previous kubuntus, it will need a bit of explaination though.

I have 3 network interfaces
              eth0 - integrated with my mainboard, wired
              eth1 - PCI slot network card, wired
              wlan0 - another PCI card, wireless

I don't plan on using wireless, so let's pretend it doesn't exist.

Now, my eth0 is connected to world, gets IP trough dhcp and works fine. Hey, it's why I'm able to write this post.
              But I want to connect my eth1 to my laptop. So I get cable, yeah, it's right kind of cable and connect them... Well, and normally I would set IPs for both computers and they would work pretty fine, but somehow I just CAN'T do that on KDE4.2. I tried some things, but I failed miserably.

There's problem number 2 - after managing to connect both PCs I want to let my laptop use internet connection I get trough eth0 on this computer. Every time I installed linux it was pretty hard to do, I never learned it well enough to do it without tutorials... and I really really hope this time it will be possible to do it just with few clicks without need to actually edit some scary config files.
              Let me see if I can help. But, please, don't expect much. I am, however, long winded. I suggest not reading my post while buzzed on a quart of coffee.

For your two ethernet cards to function correctly, they must exist on separate and unique IP address and IP masks. Your Internet access router (Eth0) has a DHCP which takes care of all the house keeping chores with your ISP communications.

You must manually set up your Eth1 to your own IP address, netmask, and also duplicate manual settings on your laptop computer. And in addition, there is the problem that for all this to function correctly you cannot directly connect two computers together without a cross-over cable. (You didn't indicate you special purchased a crossover cable.) Normally you would need a cheap 5 port hub (or 5 port Ethernet switch, don't mater), plugging both computers with normal CAT5e cables into your hub.

You do realize, you could of course insert the hub between your Kubuntu computer and your Ethernet connection on your broadband router plus adding the laptop? Long story short, you don't *need* to use the router's DHCP, it just makes it easier for a Laptop to change IP address depending on location (your home, coffee bar, work, etc.) It is somewhat painless to give your desktop a fixed IP address in System Settings and leave the DHCP address to your laptop.

So, before we start, do you feel comfortable editing in Kubuntu system settings (in the the network manager sub section?) Network manager is somewhat confusing, and most experienced Kubuntu users will prefer to edit files in a command line prompt. (I am not one of these experts, because I like graphical interfaces.) You seem reluctant to edit on the command line. You will still have to do a lot of Ethernet Interface changes in you Laptop, which I presume is Windows.

BTW: I was not clear about your wanting to network interface the two computers. Are you aware the file transfer between Linux and Windows is a very steep learning curve? I mean it is not simple and easy. No Way. Microsoft is in business to make a profit. nuff said. You will need to learn about SAMBA. A piece of software that handles the Windows <--> Linux networking file transfer. You will be required to handle a whole lot of command line editing of configuration files in SAMBA. And it took me about 6 months to get it working. (most of the help I got with SAMBA learning curve was in the form of "Read The Frigging Manual" or words a bit more earthly to the same effect.)

I am willing to help as much as I can, but I am not an expert. Just a person who went trough it all recently.

Phil

Comment

Is it possible to connect to 2 wireless connections at once?
                My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

RealG187:

ignoring the question of "Why would you do that..."

I suppose you could....provided the IP address, and net-masks were different. As in two different Wireless hubs. (as in: one wireless hub connects to broadband Router, 2nd for in-house network.)

There is a method with Servers where the Ethernet traffic can be doubled by using more than one Ethernet card, but the Ethernet Switch (what the servers are connected to) needs to be programmable to use two, or more, Switch ports as a single port. Easy to do with Cisco Switches and Fiber Ethernet connections to Dell or IBM servers. Never heard about a laptop needing to combine with two or more Ethernet wireless connectors to increase traffic throughput.

Most common would be one wireless, and one CAT-5 wired connection.

Sure would like to hear a why, be good for my learn-something-new-everyday.

Aside: How good are you with IP address ranges, Net-masks, Gateways, and DNS setups? It ain't hard, just a mild learning curve.

Maybe someone else has an opinion.

Comment

I would want to do that to double the speed.

Or if two access points use different internet connections, I could use both for more speed or what I do one one won't slow down the other.

Or if I want to hide my identity, for example there's this one site I have multiple accounts on (not this one or any linux forum) and if I could use a second internet connection (IP Address) to connect to that site, but still use the first connection for everything else (checking email, or using my other account on that site)
                    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                      I would want to do that to double the speed.

Or if two access points use different internet connections, I could use both for more speed or what I do one one won't slow down the other.

Or if I want to hide my identity, for example there's this one site I have multiple accounts on (not this one or any linux forum) and if I could use a second internet connection (IP Address) to connect to that site, but still use the first connection for everything else (checking email, or using my other account on that site)
                      Sorry, you hit my knowledge wall. I don't know how you could implement what you are asking. For example, how would your browser know which connection it should use and your 2nd browser know it should use the other connection? Even if you used different Kubuntu sessions, you still have the problem of the application knowing which specific Ethernet connection it was assigned to.

Let me clarify on my previous post. When you combine two Ethernet network adapters, both are going to the same place, and share a common (virtual) IP address. This setup can only function if the other end of the combined cables knows how to do a combined-virtual address scheme. Any home wireless or router simply don't have the programming power to do this.

Trust me, for what you are asking about, my thinking is two laptops, two different ISP connections, and two ISP's. Way cheaper in the long run.

Again, maybe someone else has an opinion?

Comment

One way might be to use a VM. Like if I have a laptop with a built in wireless adapter and plug in a USB one and have it mount directly into the VM.

Or another way could be for the second adapter I run a service on my system where if a browser/program is configure to use a proxy on localhost:whatever port then that proxy on local host will link to the second interface or normal config would goto the 1st.

It would be cool to do this. The VM seems like one way, but the second way I mentioned seems better if it could be done...

Comment

Working...
                        X