This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No YouTube in Konqueror

I started the same topic on KDE-forums, but on the end it boiled down to Kubuntu problem. I found this How-To to get it working, but unfortunately Kubuntus KMPlayer dosen't come with knpplayer.
    But among comments was the tip how to compile the KMPlayer with Knpplayer.
    I followed that but I still didn't get the knpplayer on my KMPlayer.
    the problem with How-To and the tip for Kubuntu is that it's old (it's for Hardy)
    The tip said this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep kmplayer
    apt-get source kmplayer

cd kmplayer-0.10.0c
    vim debian/kmplayer.install
    Added the line usr/bin/knpplayer

Compiled the package with the command: debuild -i -us -uc -b

cd ..
    sudo dpkg -i kmplayer_0.10.0c-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    So can someone help me get the Flash completely working in Konqueror.
    Or at least try to trouble-shoot why I still don't have a option to embed the KMPlayer in Konqueror?
    I think it must be something with the last part, that's installing of KMPlayer. As the compiling created 4 packs (a normal package, base, docs and plugins), but as you can see the code it says only normal package, but maybe the dpkg means dependencies...
    Anyway I tried to install just the plug-in package and it still doesn't work.
    So I guess it's not that. And I did used nano instead of vim, because I don't get around vim really good.
    I have trouble with edit anything in it...
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: No YouTube in Konqueror

I don't understand why you need KMPlayer to play Flash videos on Konqueror. I usually just install the package adobe-flashplugin (using Adept, for example), which is a plugin that works with Firefox and Konqueror. Then, all I have to do is restart the browser. I've just tested this method with Konqueror 4.2.0 and it seems to be working fine.

Comment

Originally posted by tiagobt
      I don't understand why you need KMPlayer to play Flash videos on Konqueror. I usually just install the package adobe-flashplugin (using Adept, for example), which is a plugin that works with Firefox and Konqueror. Then, all I have to do is restart the browser. I've just tested this method with Konqueror 4.2.0 and it seems to be working fine.
      well because I have adobe-flashplugin installed and my YouTube dosen't work...
      If you read the KDE-forum post that I linked, you'll see that I'm not only one having this sort of problem.
      But it does surprise me that you also have KDE4.2 and you say that YouTube is working.
      Could you please try CNN and Blip.tv.
      Because the interesting thing is my flash works on some sites, but not on others. It works on Blip.tv (and my faculty site) which is an YouTube clone, but it dosen't work on CNN and YouTube and Adobe for that matter.

Comment

YouTube and Blip work fine, but CNN doesn't. Now I see what you mean. The plugin doesn't even load. I wonder what the difference is. Very weird...

Comment

YouTube and Blip work fine, but CNN doesn't. Now I see what you mean. The plugin doesn't even load. I wonder what the difference is. Very weird...
          Even though I had this problem I still think that yours is even more weird than my.
          On KDE Forum we got to the point that Blip.tv and other that work use java or embed object and a something called pokkariplayer.
          CNN uses BVPPlayer and div tags. They don't use javascript or object-embed code. Same for Youtube.
          That said the CNN should work if YouTube works or so it seems. But I guess not.
          Which makes it even more intriguing.
          I'll post your problem to KDE forums so that it's clear that it's not a embeding problem.

Comment

It's even weirder! I've tested quite a few videos and situations on YouTube, and I've noticed that the Flash plugin sometimes loads and sometimes not...

I'm having a really hard time to isolate the problem. At first, I thought some specific videos worked and some not, but I got to a point where the same video would work in a situation, but wouldn't work in another one. I also thought that opening several tabs in the same Konqueror window (with different videos on each one) would force the driver to load, but the test results were inconsistent again. I suspected at one point that the extra part of the URL helped (for example, &feature=channel), but this was not the case all the times... I also launched Konqueror from the command line to see if the text output would be different in cases where the video worked, but I found no significant difference.

I just know that the plugin will eventually work if you try clicking on several videos (for example, browsing through the related videos). I'm not sure this makes any difference, but I'm accessing the Brazilian version of YouTube (I'm automatically redirected because I'm in Brazil). Other than that, my system is pretty much what you'd expect: Kubuntu 8.10 + KDE 4.2.0 + Konqueror 4.2.0 + Adobe Flash Plugin 10.0.22.87.

Tiago

Comment

It's even weirder! I've tested quite a few videos and situations on YouTube, and I've noticed that the Flash plugin sometimes loads and sometimes not...

I'm having a really hard time to isolate the problem. At first, I thought some specific videos worked and some not, but I got to a point where the same video would work in a situation, but wouldn't work in another one. I also thought that opening several tabs in the same Konqueror window (with different videos on each one) would force the driver to load, but the test results were inconsistent again. I suspected at one point that the extra part of the URL helped (for example, &feature=channel), but this was not the case all the times... I also launched Konqueror from the command line to see if the text output would be different in cases where the video worked, but I found no significant difference.

I just know that the plugin will eventually work if you try clicking on several videos (for example, browsing through the related videos). I'm not sure this makes any difference, but I'm accessing the Brazilian version of YouTube (I'm automatically redirected because I'm in Brazil). Other than that, my system is pretty much what you'd expect: Kubuntu 8.10 + KDE 4.2.0 + Konqueror 4.2.0 + Adobe Flash Plugin 10.0.22.87.

Tiago
              Very strange!
              I'll post this on KDE forums, and then report.
              I have to check if that happens on my Konqueror to. I mainly just tried one and when it didn't work I just didn't try again.

Comment

I don't have the kmplayer or knpplayer, just the adobe plugin (flashplugin-nonfree) installed the usual way. I am on 64 bit, by the way.

I have also noticed that konqueror will play only the first flash video I try to play, for the next ones I sometimes never get it started without exiting konqueror and restarting, click again...

I have noticed similar behavior when using firefox too, but less - in most cases firefox will play video after video but sometimes it stops and refuses to load the next one.

It is sad that flash and java still is a hassle.

Comment

Multimedia and flash works flawlessly for me, after I follow this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

I have this same problem in jaunty 9.04 alpha. I think I read somewhere that the problem is a race condition between konqueror and the nsplugin wrapper or something and that is why flash will load seemingly randomly for some people.

There does not seem to be an easy solution to this problem. I also tried the embedded kmplayer strategy with no luck.

This is a very critical bug that needs to be fixed before jaunty is released!

Comment

This was happening to me to too so I reverted back to Firefox. I am currently using Flash 10 and as far as I know, this problem was not prevalent with Flash 9. I remember reading somewhere it has to do with the way the particular Flash app was encoded. But I could be very wrong about that.

Short story, everything works in Firefox.
                      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Konqueror does not even work on my version of kde 4.2. even after a clean install. makes me wonder if it is being affected by a setting somewhere. Can anyone solve the Internet problem in Konqueror?

Comment

Hi there
                          "I have also noticed that konqueror will play only the first flash video I try to play, for the next ones I sometimes never get it started without exiting konqueror "
                          I have the same problem Hopefully we will see some solutions here on this thread.

regards
                          Drellir
                          In theory there is no difference between practice and theory but in practice there is a great difference.

Comment

This problem is not limited to Kubuntu...I have the same problem in Debian Lenny.
                            I think I have solved it by reverting back to flashplayer 9.
                            Flashplayer 9 can be downloaded from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...p9_archive.zip
                            To install flash 9 for konqueror only ( keeping flash 10 for Mozilla/Iceweasel or whatever where it works properly), all that is necessary is to extract the libflashplayer.so file from the archive, put it in a directory in your ~home folder and set konqueror plugin to point to it instead of the usual /lib/Mozilla/plugins directory.

Comment

Originally posted by yamaha
                              Konqueror does not even work on my version of kde 4.2. even after a clean install. makes me wonder if it is being affected by a setting somewhere. Can anyone solve the Internet problem in Konqueror?
                              I have this working after an update in the pre-release of 9:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X