This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Internet Found...

I'm reasonably new to linux (I have used some basic features before). But I couldn't find a solution to this one anywhere so here goes...

I have just installed kubuntu 8.10 and it cannot connect to the internet. The computer is configured in a multiboot way, and the internet in Windows Vista works fine. I previously did had kubuntu 7.04 on the machine some time ago with the internet working OK, however after a few HD formats I installed kubuntu 8.10.

In knetwork manager it has a menu "New Connection" however this only lists wlan0 (I am using a wired link). Normally I am connected through a router, however the computer refuses to connect even when directly connected to the modem.

On alot of threads on this forum I have seen the following commands, so I will post these up also.

xxx@xxx:~$ lspci|grep -i net
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

xxx@xxx:~$ ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1568 (1.5 KB) TX bytes:1568 (1.5 KB)

I'm stuck with what I need to do to get my internet working...

Thanks

Re: No Internet Found...

Try my solution.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Thanks Detonate, I had seen that post prior to asking the question here. But when I tried ifconfig -a (apparently lists all active/not active devices, eth0 had not shown up). So I was a bit hesitant to try removing my network manager. That being said, I tried your advice, but after I got to the ifconfig stage, no eth0 was present.

Now I can reinstall kubuntu to restore KNetworkManager if necessary. I have tried reinstalling a few times in the last few days, but each time no eth0 appears. So far I've been unable to find the steps to get at least eth0 to appear.

Thanks

Comment

OK, have to get that NIC working first. I just hit google with "82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller linux ubuntu" and got several promising hits. Try that and see if anything works for your system.

Comment

Well so far I have tried various solutions on google without success:

* Using sudo depmod e1000, which returns an error
          * modprobe e1000 that returns "Unable to find file"
          * Downloading and attempting to install using make the linux drivers for Intel 82573L Ethernet Controller, however make ends prematurely by saying a particular file is in "catman mode"

Sorry that I'm not very specific, I'm typing this from my working Vista partition. I have come across this jonathancarter.co.za/2008/09/24/potentially-hardware-damaging-bug-in-kernel-2627, which reports that 8.10 may damage firmware (I didn't use the alpha, but could the current version be causing the problem?)

Anyway, is there any other things I can try to restoring eth0?

Comment

I wish I could be of more help. But solving these hardware/driver issues is an area where I am woefully ignorant. Hopefully someone else will jump in.

Comment

Working...
            X