This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linksys wireless card

I use linksys wireless card. I also have Kubuntu 8.10. I'm using another computer to right this. On the bottom right tray it shows the world and I click on it and it recognizes the linksys wireless card but it won't connect. I think I know why. See we have a linksys router and my computer is connected to it but to connect to it I have to put in the password on my end. But the thing is I don't know where to put the password at.

Re: linksys wireless card

Another wireless card, same problem .

Comment

Okay, it shows the world thingy on the bottom right screen. When I right clikc or left click the world a menue shows up
      - this is the menu-

ethO
      No Carrier

athO
      Linksys (WPA) - It has a little blue square on the right that is either co, or so and on the right of it is the blue connectivity line - which is halfway across.

new connection - with ethO or athO option

Deactivate connection

Configure notification

Edit options

Quit

When I click Edit connections, the only thing that shows for connections is linksys. Then I high light the linksys connection and click on edit connection. It comes up with New Connection, with the word essid - and linksys beside it. I click next, and what do I see. I see use wireless security with it marked, and below it is security with WPA personal and below that is shared key (is that where I put my password in to connect to my linksys router to connect to the internet). THen I click next then I'm givin the option of us manual ip config which is not marked. Below that is IP address, netmask, gateway, DNS address, DNS search, I click next and it has connection name with linksys and autoconnect. I push connect and save. Then I click on the world again and click on linksys which it already detected in the beginning but I still can't connect. As I said before I and my friends who I live with just to connect to internet with the linksys router must put in a password, they don't use kubuntu but I do and i'm still having problems with connection to internet. So my question is where do I put in the password to tell it that it can connect

Comment

um... I believe the "little blue square" next to your linksys network means you have set up a manual peer to peer connection, which will not work with a router. You need to remove that connection and all manual configuration for it. Then you should see your wireless network with a padlock icon next to it. Simply select it and it should pop up a window asking for the proper encryption method and key.

namopereht

Comment

Originally posted by namopereht
          um... I believe the "little blue square" next to your linksys network means you have set up a manual peer to peer connection, which will not work with a router. You need to remove that connection and all manual configuration for it. Then you should see your wireless network with a padlock icon next to it. Simply select it and it should pop up a window asking for the proper encryption method and key.

namopereht
          How would I do that

Comment

I would try: right click on knetworkmanager in the tray -> options -> configure. select "wireless networks" on left side, and remove any stored there and click ok. Then right click on knetworkmanager icon in tray -> manual configuration. Enter your root password when asked. Select your wireless interface, click configure. Set to automatic and dhcp, click ok. This should set all back to stock. Also, when having connection issues it is best to temporarily disable any encryption/authentication on your router first, Establish a good connection, then turn on security. when the router reboots with the security settings your computer will try to log in, see it needs a key, then automatically ask for it. After you get to this point and all works well, then you can set up your static IP if necessary.. I am doing this from memory so I hope I haven't missed anything.

namopereht

Comment

Working...
            X