X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madwifi Problems, Atheros AR5008, Gigabyte AirCruiser GN-WI30N-RH. help

Hi everyone.

I have a dell mini running kubuntu 8.1 Intrepid with the latest build from (sudo apt-get update).
    I am not running the beta-nightly.

i recently purchased the Gigabyte AirCruiser GN-WI30N-RH wireless card because it's supposed to be really good. I had a broadcom before, which worked fine after following the wicd instructions on this site .

I want to get the Gigabyte configured with my kubuntu 8.1, the Gigabyte is based off of the Atheros AR5008.

I have followed a bunch of instruction sets for the madwifi-ng install, by doing all required steps multiple times. i've seen no results so far, and im looking for some guidance if anyone has any.

i have blacklisted ath5k.ko and ath9k.ko and wl.ko as "blacklist ath5k.ko" "blacklist ath9k.ko" and "blacklist wl.ko" in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

The wl.ko is the broadcom driver for the BCM4312

here's my lspci:
    this is just the device itself, i can give the rest of the results but i am not sure that would be necessary.

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 02b0
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 220
    I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
    Memory at f0510000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Memory at f0500000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at f0520000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
    Kernel modules: r8169

my lsusb:
    doesnt list anything other than..

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0c45:63e5 Microdia (the webcam)
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

my ifconfig doesn't list ath0 or wifi0.

anything helps really,

thanks for looking

Re: Madwifi Problems, Dell Mini, Atheros AR5008, Gigabyte AirCruiser GN-WI30N-RH

Also, if i just do a fresh install with the Gigabyte in will that possibly help?

thanks

Comment

Re: Madwifi Problems, Atheros AR5008, Gigabyte AirCruiser GN-WI30N-RH. help

i have a atheros wifi card um idk remember the model but the ath5k driver wants to automagicly install it self in both 8.04 and 8.10 then all my problems after that were fixed by wicd.(for 8.10)

here is my lshw section for the card if it helps you at all
      Code:
        *-network:1
              description: Wireless interface
              product: AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor
              vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
              physical id: 3
              bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
              logical name: wifi0
              version: 01
              serial: 00:xx:xx:xx:xx
              width: 32 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
              configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci ip=10.20.51.125 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath_pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
      note the atheros model is almost identical to yours. i installed the drive w/ the restricted driver manager (in kde4 its jockey-kde or kde-jockey)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

yeah my lshw looks different?..

*-network
        description: Ethernet interface
        product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
        physical id: 0
        bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
        logical name: eth0
        version: 02
        serial: 00:
        size: 100MB/s
        capacity: 1GB/s
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
        configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full latency=0 link=yes module=r8169 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s

And......

-network DISABLED
        description: Ethernet interface
        physical id: 2
        logical name: pan0
        capabilities: ethernet physical
        configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

now im way confused? :?
        when i go to "hardware drivers" the ui pops up, but it says "there are no proprietary drivers in use on this system". ugh

also: according to http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e_ar5418&num=2 and http://www.phoronix.com/forums/archi...hp/t-8577.html there was not proprietary linux drivers at the time of the article's writing. it was not compatible with the 2.6.24 kernel at the time and was waiting for new drivers. it should be supported now?

anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

i just followed this guide:http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...ver_for_ar5008 and nothing works

Comment

is it normal to have 2 ethernet interfaces?

i guess at the least anyone w/ this card that tries to install in on kubuntu will know what to do when i get this.

would re-installing kubuntu with the new card in possibly help?

Comment

pan0 would be personal area network, basicly meaning that you have a bluetooth adaptor in your computer..
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X