Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox disconnects from wireless network after idling for a few minutes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox disconnects from wireless network after idling for a few minutes.

Recently I am experiencing a strange thing: After working with Firefox on my wireless network for a while and then letting it idle for an extended period of time, I get disconnected from my own wireless network. Firefox does not connect to any URL. FTP does not work, I cannot ping anything.

Strangely enough, Skype continues working.

I have to close and then restart Network manager to get the wireless network connect to any URL again.
    Sometimes even a reboot is needed.

This is new to me. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Re: Firefox disconnects from wireless network after idling for a few minutes.

Something very strange indeed. But if Skype keeps working (able to make calls, etc) you're obviously not being disconnected!!! Sounds like power management is turning off the radio and not getting properly back on, but if that's were the case you would not be able to use Skype.

What happens in those cases (no browsing, no FTP, no ping) when you try to call someone with Skype? Does the rest of apps start working again?

Comment

I think you'll find the answer in the way Skype does networking. Google UDP hole punching for more info. Skype does very weird stuff networking wise, so its not a huge surprise that it behaves differently.

You could try a keep-alive solution. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive) The better solution though, would however be to fix the root of the problem: i.e. what barbolani said: power management. If you can set it in the OS, then check your BIOS.

edit:Wikipedia's idea of keepalive is a bit different than the colloqial usage. You could try setting up a regular ping to your router/AP.

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
        Something very strange indeed. But if Skype keeps working (able to make calls, etc) you're obviously not being disconnected!!! Sounds like power management is turning off the radio and not getting properly back on, but if that's were the case you would not be able to use Skype.

What happens in those cases (no browsing, no FTP, no ping) when you try to call someone with Skype? Does the rest of apps start working again?

No, nothing starts up again. But Skype keeps on working.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocXphere

You could try a keep-alive solution. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive) The better solution though, would however be to fix the root of the problem: i.e. what barbolani said: power management. If you can set it in the OS, then check your BIOS.

. . .

If I restart the network connection, Firefox will also connect and work again. Only to go asleep if I do not use for a while.

this is new and appeare only after one of the most recent updates. It happens in 8.10 and 8.04.

Comment

Working...
          X