This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Pavilion dv5 w/ Atheros wireless not working [SOLVED]

Ok, so I have been trying to get my wireless going on my new laptop for about a week and a half to no avail.
    I have a HP Pavilion dv5 laptop with an Atheros 5007 wireless card. I've tried all kinds of different things but nothing seems to want to work for me. I tried the madwifi drivers, the ndiswrapper, tried different network managers (knetworkmanager, wicd, kwlan, etc)
    It's almost like Kubuntu doesn't see my wireless card. It works great under Windoze Vista , but no go on Kubuntu. I am using Kubuntu 8.10 64bit with KDE4.2.
    Another problem I seem to be running into is that there are not really any new how-to's on setting up wireless.
    Any help would be appreciated. If you need me to post anything I can hook it up wired and paste back here. Thanks.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: wireless is giving me a headache..

hey cvpunk

here is my lshw output for my atheros card

Code:
    *-network:1
            description: Wireless interface
            product: AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor
            vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
            physical id: 3
            bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
            logical name: wifi0
            version: 01
            serial: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (mac address)
            width: 32 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
            configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath_pci ip=10.20.51.125 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 module=ath_pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    Mine Pops up automagicly with the driver installed via a "restricted driver"

there are two parts "atheros Hal" and "support for atheros 802.11 wifi cards"

just note i am currently running 8.04(32 bit). worked just the same w/ 8.10 (32bit)
    using a minipci atheros card.
    what does lshw give u for info about the card?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

here is from my lshw...

*-network UNCLAIMED
      description: Ethernet controller
      product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
      vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
      version: 01
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: bus_master cap_list
      configuration: latency=0
      &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

ok, so I finally got it working tonight.
        earlier at work I found this http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-970717.html
        and followed this part of the post...
        ravl
        November 6th, 2008, 10:12 AM
        Success!!!

I can confirm that the process I previously posted to enable Atheros wifi cards works!

System > Hardware Drivers: Disable the stock Atheros support. Something odd happened here, when I open the Hardware Driver manager from the K menu, it doesn't ask for the administrator password. I closed it, and then clicked on the tray icon for the Hardware Driver Manager, and then got prompted for the administrator password. Then I could disable the stock driver.

Reboot.

sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

Reboot.

Right click NetworkManager, your wireless should be up and running.
        after the reboot I had to configure my network first since I am using a hidden network with WPA2.
        then, right clicked on network manager again and clicked on my network connection. All is good now.
        I kind of bounce between 3 and 4 bars...but I can handle that for now.

Comment

Working...
        X