X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Broadcom Wireless

Hi,

I am switching from OpenSuse11 to Kubuntu 8.10

Are ther any guides on how to setup broadcom wireless for 8.10? Will the same method for Ubuntu 8.04 work for Kubuntu 8.10 ?

Re: Broadcom Wireless

here's a new one for you.

i'm new to UBU, I;m a long time mandriva user, came over here looking for a specififc resolution to a specififc issue

that being said

XUBUNUTU 8.1 is a SNAP with broadcom 4318 wireless.

KUBUNUTU 8.1 I cant get to connect to save my LIFE,

I have tried the ndiswrapper as well as trying to "activate the missing driver" that it finds. no go.

I've even tried manually setting it up

no go

BOTH of them automatically find my VERIZON broadband card, but cant find the built in wireless to save their lives!

if i cant get XUBU to do what I need, I may insert a PCMCIA card and disable the internal and see of i can get that working!

anyone have any ideas?

j

Comment

my kubuntu showed me an option to use a restricted driver tested by the ubuntu guys.. i just had to click on it and it works like a charm

Comment

see thats what my copy of XUBU does

KUBU shows the driver, but when i click on activate NOTHING happens!

Comment

tough luck.. 

How do i mark the thread as solved ? do i have to change the title manually ?

Comment

Originally posted by mindwave
            see thats what my copy of XUBU does

KUBU shows the driver, but when i click on activate NOTHING happens!
            Mindwave...try the following in konsole:
            Code:
            sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb wl
            sudo modprobe wl
            and possibly
            Code:
            sudo ifconfig eth1 up
            and let us know if it works. This is what I have to do on my Broadcom 4328 (just not the last line - but some interfaces may need it). If it does work, then I can provide you a script that will automatically do this on boot...
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Broadcom Wireless

Perhaps my experience will help someone. My HP laptop has a Boadcom 4318 card. I got it working back in Fiesty Fawn using ndiswrapper and the XP driver. I have been using the upgrade method since then to update to each release of the distro, and it is currently running Intrepid Ibex. I use Xubuntu, but Kubuntu is also installed. As I used the upgrade method and not a clean install, the original driver was still being used. And it was working fine. But I decided I wanted the use the b43 driver. So I hooked up to a wired connection, removed ndiswrapper, and installed b43-fwcutter. I got no errors during the install. But when I rebooted, the wireless failed to turn on. I could start the wireless after issuing
              Code:
              sudo modprobe b43
              in a terminal, and everything worked after that. I use wicd as a networkmanager. But despite repeated attempts, it still would not turn on the wireless at boot. After much googling, and sleeping on the matter I edited my /etc/modules file and added b43 on the last line. That's all it took. Now it starts and connects automatically at boot.

Comment

Working...
              X