This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless network problem

I had no connection with KnetworkManager because it wouldn't remember that my network required wep ascii connection. Then I removed KnetworkManager and installed wicd which would see my network and eventually connect to it. But internet isn't there - why?
    I tried different drivers but only the first was possible to connect with. Earlier on I used madwifi. How do I install them?
    Which role has /etc/network/interfaces to KnetworkManager or wicd?

Re: wireless network problem

Hi there,

I was having the same problem, (I was able to connect though) but the WAP connection setup, network key, and the Autoconnect option were not saved if you rebooted the PC.

Part of this issue was resolved after installing about 59 system upgrades (Kubuntu KDE 4.1)
    After these automatic upgrades everything with the wireless connection is saved, the only thing is that it doesn't connect by itself went booting up the PC. I don't mine to manually connect every time, but I am wonder if there is a solution for this.

Bear with me with your replies/fixes solutions, I am an absolute beginner with Linux so.. English please..

Thanks in advance.

Comment

@ Claus

If your /etc/network/interfaces looks like this

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      it is fine and you ought to look elsewhere. If not, make a back-up copy, replace it with the above and restart your network.

@ Nelson

knetworkmanager does save settings. Have you been through the whole setting up rigmarole right through to the end? There is an option to "connect automatically" in the last screen.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I don't know about your problem, but I use 8.10 and wicd 1.5.3 and my conf still in it's position after I reboot

Comment

Originally posted by Claus Ladekjær Wilson
          hen I removed KnetworkManager and installed wicd which would see my network and eventually connect to it. But internet isn't there - why?
          If you are connected to your network, but can't connect to the internet, the problem may be a DNS issue. Can you run
          Code:
          cat /etc/resolv.conf
          in a terminal and post the results?

Comment

knetworkmanager does save settings. Have you been through the whole setting up rigmarole right through to the end? There is an option to "connect automatically" in the last screen.
            Yup, Autoconnect box is checked.

Actually yesterday Kubuntu showed some upgrades ready to install so I did. The upgrade hang on 53% and my laptop got frozen.. no mouse, no keyboard, no nothing... I had to turn it off... When it came back up it went into the Grub screen and that was it, I wasn't able to log back in to Kubuntu... I had to uninstall/reinstall the whole thing and that's where I am now... It seems there is a random logout issue now showing "checking battery state" or something like that...

I need to play more on it... I am at work now... so...

Thank for the reply though.

Comment

Actually I got this issue resolved now.

The "Checking battery state" thing was fixed by unchecking the 'Desktop Effects' box.

I had to reinstall Kubuntu. Its all working now.. well, except for the 'AutoConnect' thing for my wireless. I still have to manually connect to it by trying several times every time I reboot my laptop ...... I don't mine doing it though.

Comment

Working...
              X