Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] KNetworkManager and global configuration: try WICD!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KNetworkManager and global configuration: try WICD!

I have been sweating over network configuration with KNetworkManager, until Toad's advice pointed me to the right tool: wicd. My issue was that I couldn't configure my computer to use DHCP on bootup. KNetworkManager only allows you to set up your configuration as a single user, which is generally ok for wireless, and generally bad for wired. I installed wicd it following the instructions from here (note that you need to use "intrepid" for the repository):

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

It automagically configured the dhcp connection to start at bootup, I didn't even need to do anything, just reboot!!!!

I hope this helps others. Thanks to Toad for the help in this post!:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3513#msg153513

Re: [SOLVED] KNetworkManager and global configuration: try WICD!

I just did this, too, and it has made things easier....except for one thing: When I boot up, I always have to click the task bar icon and connect to my network.

What do I need to do to make the connection automagic?

Thanks!
    El

Comment

I literally, didn't configure anything, it picked up what I was trying to do in KNetworkManager apparently.

Here go some screenshots of my config, hope they help you!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm.... I only have two setup screens, not three:

Attached Files

Comment

Actually, my first screenshot is the main window, I wonder if wicd gets confused because you have two devices? (wireless and wired). Have you tried clicking on "Wired Network" in the main window and make it the "default profile" as in my screenshot?

Comment

But I'm not on a wired network.....only wireless on my laptop. My first screen only shows my in-house wireless network....and that's what I always have to click "Connect" for when I boot up.

El

Comment

Ah, have you tried checking the button to automatically connect to that networkl?

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

Attached Files

Comment

I don't have that option. Here is my main WICD screen after I click the "Connect" button. Before clicking "Connect" it only shows my wireless.

Attached Files

Comment

ElEdwards -

You're posting in II Network Support, and II runs KDE 4 specifically, but your screen shot of WICD appears to be from an earlier KDE. When you click on Help > About on WICD what version of KDE is shown?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 - KDE 4.1.3. The "About" of WICD doesn't show the KDE version.... only the WICD version:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm. Wicd 1.5.3. Doing searches on Google finds that Wicd is currently at version 1.5.4 (stable) on SourceForge.net. It can be downloaded here. I'd download the wicd_1.5.4_all.deb file to your desktop. You need only double-click it to install.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

this may be a stupid question...have you clicked the triangle next to your wireless connection, to 'expand' it, then clicked on advanced?
                        mmo
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Well, it wasn't a stupid question.... it was a good one! I hadn't even noticed that little, teeny, weeny triangle. I clicked it and whaddaya know?... there was the button for "Automatically connect to this network".

I guess I'm a couple of clicks above "DUH"

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
                          El

Comment

I'd download the wicd_1.5.4_all.deb file to your desktop.
                            i second that!!
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

glad I could help! I would still get the latest if possible!
                              mm0
                              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                              X