X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KNetworkManager doesn't see newly plugged USB 3G modem

Hello all,
    I have a constantly updated beta Intrepid on my laptop.
    When I'm at home I connect through my wireless router; when I'm on the road I use an USB HSDPA modem.
    Right now, the network notifier (I don't know if that's the name, it's the small applet shaped like the world) only "sees" the two on-board network cards (the wired and wireless). When I plug in the USB modem, it's not added to the list of available connections.
    If I boot the pc with the USB modem already connected, then it IS shown together with the other cards, and I can start a connection from there. How can I do to have it added to the list whenever I plug it in?

Also: right now I have to start the connection with wvdial. When I do so though, I can't navigate on the internet because the pc expects a connection on other cards, and I have to disable both the wired and wireless cards to get internet access. (Or I have to run a "route add default ppp0" command). Is it possible to have the pc automatically use whatever connection is available?

Ideally I would like to just plug the modem, or switch on the wifi card, and choose the relevant connection from the panel, and just be online. Is this far away or possible?

Thanks
    Cristian

Re: "Network notifier" doesn't see newly plugged USB gsm modem

Update. I managed to get KNetworkManager to see my modem. I edited the file
    /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi
    and added this section:

Code:
       <!-- New Device -->
       <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x05c6">
        <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x3100">
         <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
      <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>
        </match>
       </match>
    Now KNetworkManager correctly detects the modem when it's plugged in, at any time, and displays it as ttyACM0. But if I click on the connection under it in the KNetworkManager menu, NetworkManager crashes. A dmesg gives this message:

[ 342.801146] NetworkManager[6375]: segfault at 10 ip 0807ea98 sp bfbaf990 error 4 in NetworkManager[8048000+5e000]

Any idea why it crashes so badly?

Thanks
    Cristian

Comment

Re: KNetworkManager doesn't see newly plugged USB 3G modem

Here's what appears in /var/log/syslog right after I click on the connection:

Code:
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyACM0) starting connection 'Tre'
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> (ttyACM0): device state change: 3 -> 4
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyACM0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyACM0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <debug> [1224909513.613235] nm_serial_device_open(): (ttyACM0) opening device...
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyACM0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop NetworkManager: <info> (ttyACM0): powering up...
      Oct 25 06:38:33 CriLaptop kernel: [ 1956.050201] NetworkManager[7093]: segfault at 10 ip 0807ea98 sp bf964740 error 4 in NetworkManager[8048000+5e000]

Comment

Network Manager does not play nice with modems. Easiest way is to set up a connection in kppp. Configure a new modem as /dev/ttyACM0. Create a new connection with your dial-up number (verizon and sprint use #777 on cellular) and login info using the newly created modem. Then just drop the kppp applet onto your taskbar and all is good. You do have to open up kppp and click on connect, but that is it. When connected and minimized to the tray it puts a nifty notification icon with in/out data meters. Hope that helps even though it is not exactly what you wanted to do with it.

namopereht

Comment

I tried kppp, and it works (well, it sees the modem, and it connects, but I still can't go online, I have to check the configuration).
          Anyway I could make NetworkManager work alright... I had to reconfigure KNetworkManager (I don't know why the old config made NetworkManager crash).
          Now it detects modem insertion/removal, and I also set it up to auto-connect on insertion.

Now it would be nice if the relevant lines could be added in the official 10modem.fdi file so that other users can use this modem too!

Thanks
          Cristian

Comment

Working...
          X