This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No network, Broadcom BCM4318 and RTL-8139

Looking for a bit of adventure (kubuntu works so well I miss not having to tinker with things!) I downloaded the 8.10 beta this morning on my laptop, an Acer Aspire 3610. When I restarted after the upgrade, I found myself with no network. Neither wireless (BCM4318) nor ethernet (RTL-8139) work. I don't know if it is related, but every 15 seconds or so, there is something that flashes across my screen too fast to see what it is, looks like a program window of some sort.

Browsing around I get the impression that the networking issue may be something I just need to wait a bit for rather than bang my head against it to get it working with the existing beta. I think I will wait until the next beta version, or RC1 comes out.

Does that sound like the best way to go?

Since I have no network, I guess that means I will need to burn a cd. Should I do a fresh install or is there a way to use the next beta/RC to upgrade what I already have?

Looking forward to the new version!

Cheers,

Re: No network, Broadcom BCM4318 and RTL-8139

OK, I got the networking going, at least the ethernet side.

From the console, all it took was
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    and then
    sudo ifup eth0

Now I have net access, looks like there is something missing from the networking config files.

Comment

look here for broadcom4318 help
      You need firmware files for this card
      The b43-fwcutter is still needed in Intrepid for these cards to work

Comment

See my post here. I've got the same card.

Comment

Working...
        X