Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

install 9.04 THEN update, then upgrade to 4.3.0? or ..... (could use some help)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install 9.04 THEN update, then upgrade to 4.3.0? or ..... (could use some help)

should I install 9.04 then do a system update, then add the ppa repos for 4.3?
    or
    install 9.04, update system, install all my fav apps, then the ppa repos then distr-upgrade?
    or
    install 9.04, add the ppa repos, install 4.3, reboot, addd all my apps i like, and then tweak what i have been tweaking with 'buntu?
    or anyone have another path? to get the most stability? etc?
    seen a "perfect" desktop kubuntu 9.04 in sourceforge, should I do that "before" or after upgrading to 4.3?
    this is all kinda confusing... as what path to take

thanks

Re: install 9.04 THEN update, then upgrade to 4.3.0? or ..... (could use some help)

Any of those options will work fine.
    However, considering that a lot of packages get replaced during the upgrade to 4.3 I would suggest that you perform this straight after your clean install of the base, and go from there.
    There is no point updating packages that will only be replaced during the upgrade to 4.3.
    You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Re: install 9.04 THEN update, then upgrade to 4.3.0? or ..... (could use some help)

Sorry, I don't know anything about a "perfect desktop", but if I were doing a new install, I would:

1. Install 9.04.

2. Update the system with:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      3. Reboot, then make a backup of the entire system.

4. Install the ppas, update, and dist-upgrade.

5. Then install your applications.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by binskipy2u
        should I install 9.04 then do a system update, then add the ppa repos for 4.3?
        or
        install 9.04, update system, install all my fav apps, then the ppa repos then distr-upgrade?
        or
        install 9.04, add the ppa repos, install 4.3, reboot, addd all my apps i like, and then tweak what i have been tweaking with 'buntu?
        or anyone have another path? to get the most stability? etc?
        seen a "perfect" desktop kubuntu 9.04 in sourceforge, should I do that "before" or after upgrading to 4.3?
        this is all kinda confusing... as what path to take

thanks
        I did the third option (along with some heavy duty cleaning in ~/.kde, ~/.local, ~/.config from 8.10) and the whole process worked out fine.

Comment

Working...
        X