Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] I wish I had left well enough alone (MANY problems)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wish I had left well enough alone (MANY problems)

Yep, I've tried a number of other remote desktop viewers, as I said in my OP:

But KRDC and several other remote desktop apps I tried fail to even see it--despite all the computers seeing it and accessing it via the network.
    Oh, the 'doze box doesn't have XP pro on it--I would never actually PAY M$ extra for their so-called professional OS. (It's bad enough paying for windoze every time I buy a new computer--and then wiping it off the drive as quickly as possible.) I have no idea if plain XP has the terminal services package; I'll have to hook it back up to a monitor and take a look around. But it still annoys the hell out of me that a system that worked for years just suddenly stopped.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

if several different clients show the same issue, then it must be some new setting in jaunty.

the most obvious i would check would be "network settings".
      see if the service is setup alright, the port number is still the same, ...

sometimes you find that things you've always been used to have been disabled all of a sudden.
      this happened to me several times in the past.
      look at this in jaunty, for example
      Code:
      tail -3 /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
      [Xdmcp]
      Enable=false
      Willing=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xwilling
      xdmcp is now set to "false" by default...
      i guess that would give you troubles if you were connecting from windoze to linux, though.

also...
      i googled a bit and found some posts hinting at "visual effects" (compiz and the like) to give troubles with vnc.
      try disable those in system settings...maybe?

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
        if several different clients show the same issue, then it must be some new setting in jaunty.

the most obvious i would check would be "network settings".
        see if the service is setup alright, the port number is still the same, ...
        I really don't know what else to check, as I THINK I've checked pretty much everything.

sometimes you find that things you've always been used to have been disabled all of a sudden.
        this happened to me several times in the past.
        look at this in jaunty, for example
        Code:
        tail -3 /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
        [Xdmcp]
        Enable=false
        Willing=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xwilling
        xdmcp is now set to "false" by default...
        i guess that would give you troubles if you were connecting from windoze to linux, though.
        That output is exactly what I get, too. But I'm not sure what it means in terms of my setup, i.e., going from Linux to windoze...

Little break here...and now I'm back. You may have given me a good clue! I was just doing a little Googling on Xdmcp, and I THINK I've hit on something useful. *IF* it works, I'll report my success later!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Well, I'm about to give up. I thought I was on to something but no luck.

Among other things:

. I disabled the firewall on the 'doze box
          . I installed the latest version of TightVNC on it
          . I made sure I started TightVNC as a system service
          . I made sure all of its settings were correct for allowing incoming connections

and it's still a no go.

If I can't get this to work I'm actually going to have to do something I haven't done in years: Use a windoze box. I mean actually sit in front of the physical box and use it. I'll also have to hook up a trackball, monitor, etc. This sucks.

Comment

i'm sorry.
            can't help.
            you could perhaps post a question on this specific topic.
            other than this...i don't know
            gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

It's okay, jankushka. I appreciate your input.

EDIT: And--just to make things even more confusing--I just tried doing the opposite, i.e., using KRFB on the [Linux] laptop and connecting to it via the 'doze box with TightVNC running in viewer mode. Success! So they're definitely ABLE to connect to each other...just not in the direction I need.

Comment

UPDATE: It's working. I had previously tried connecting to the 'doze box by using its [local] IP address, and it didn't work. Just now I tried again and it's working perfectly. Maybe after all my tinkering with the windoze box yesterday--and rebooting it multiple times, which--as we all know--M$ boxes like to have done!--something just fell into place. I'm thrilled that it's working, but I really can't explain it.

Comment

all's well what ends well.
                  mark this thread as [SOLVED].
                  take care.
                  8)
                  gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Originally posted by jankushka
                    all's well what ends well.
                    mark this thread as [SOLVED]
                    Indeed, it did end well! I suppose I should mark this as 'solved' since my original rant is no longer pertinent (since I'm back on Jaunty now and it's fine). Thanks to everybody who helped/tried to help! I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X