This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution in trial version

I'm running at the moment in the Kubuntu Intrepid trial version (the one that doesn't actually install) and getting very frustrated by the screen resolution problem. The version starts up with 800x600 resolution, which on my LCD monitor is totally inappropriate. That might not be so bad if I could change it via kcontrol, but the display settings there offer nothing better. Apparently it's possible to fix this through painful editing of xorg.config, but for a trial version, that really, really should not be necessary.

Is there any other way to fix this? In these days where almost everyone has a flat-screen LCD monitor, why was that low resolution chosen?

Update: I tried that version on a different machine and it came up with an appropriate LCD resolution. So the behavior seems to depend on the machine. (Both machines have LCD monitors.)

Re: Screen resolution in trial version

Same problem with me, it seems Philips LCD is not Xorg friendly, it never get setup properly, I've better luck with other made, missing of Kcontrol also part of the blame, making it so hard to change display setting.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Please be aware the display resolution problems described by pwabrahams have little if nothing to do with the brand of screen but all with the brand and type of video card and the associated driver.

So please tell us what video card your computer has and you might get useful help.

Editing of xorg.config is not painful nor is it (in most cases) necessary, providing you have the correct video driver there'll be other methods to get it all working correctly.

Comment

Actually the Monitor is very important in the calculation of display resolutions, as X will only use a modeline that it feels is "safe" to use. If it does not have monitor information, either provided by the user in xorg.conf or by the monitor in EDID, it will use low resolution VESA line.

Comment

Working...
        X