This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove autostartup programs.

I got Kubuntu kde 4.1 (the latest version 8.10) yesterday I installed pidgin (a messinger program). Now today I started my computer back up, kubuntu starts perfectly but when pidgin wants to startup everything blocks, nothing I can do except moving the mouse...
    (I googled already a few sites, they all say remove it from the autostart map but pidgin isn't in the folder...)

some one got an idea what I can do to fix this?
    thx

Re: How to remove autostartup programs.

You need to get to a non-GUI login first. One way is at boot time hit ESC and then select the rescue option. After that select the "root shell with network" option. If your system is running you may be able to get to a terminal using CTL-ALT-F1. Once you are logged in you can stop the autostart by working in your ~/.kde (/home/username/.kde) directory.

If you used CTL-ALT-F1 you should stop kdm first with
    sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop

Then depending on how you set it to auto start you may find pidgin in ~/.kde/Autostart, ~/.kde/share/autostart (directories) or in the file ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc. If it is in that file it will be toward the top ion a section
    [LegacySession: saved at previous logout]
    and may say
    command1=/usr/bin/pidgin
    or something like that. Edit (nano ksmserverrc or other editor) and remove that line, then restart kdm.
    sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start
    or if you are in rescue mode resume normal boot.

Comment

Re: How to remove autostartup programs.

I didn't find it in the auto run maps, but I found another solution.
      I just uninstalled it with "sudo apt-get remove pidgin"

After that I rebooted but my kubuntu was still stuck after that

I used ps -A to see all my processes and ksmserver = <defunct>

is this normal?
      any one got an idea what else could be wrong?

edit:
      when kubuntu frezes I still can press ctrl+alt+f1 but when I go back to f7 the screen is black.

and if I restart the kdm with: sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
      the screen is also black if I go to f7 but I can't go back to f1, looks like now it is really stuck....

(just posting random info for you guys, cuz I got no clue what could be wrong now...)

thx for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X