X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore Kubuntu OS Entry .........

Hello everyone,

I had installed Kubuntu(8.10-32 bit version) in Windows Vista via WUBI installer from the live CD which i have ....

But then i wanted to change the Default OS option to kubuntu from Windows Vista so i downloaded a software known as easy BCD 1.7.2(got the refrence from another thread) ............ while making the appropriate setting via using the software in windows i mistakenly (i guess) removed the Kubuntu entry and rebooted .......

now i can't login into Kubuntu anymore ......... as the only OS listed at the time of booting is Windows Vista ...... i tried using the software(easyBCD) to restore the option but no use .....

now i want your help in creating the Kubuntu entry .........

thnxx in advance .......
    any help would be greatly appreciated .........

Re: Restore Kubuntu OS Entry .........

When you start up EasyBCD, go to Add/Remove entries and click on the Linux tab. Then, you can name the Linux startup option whatever you like. You'll also see a dropdown box that says "Grub." Don't change this. Now, you will also see another dropdown box that says "Drive." Choose the partition that you installed the grub bootloader on. Then, just add entry, and you should be set.

If you want to make it the primary OS, look at the "manage existing entries" option. Simply choose Linux (whatever you called it) and click "up." This will make Linux appear first on the bootloader, making it the primary OS.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Originally posted by divide0
      When you start up EasyBCD, go to Add/Remove entries and click on the Linux tab. Then, you can name the Linux startup option whatever you like. You'll also see a dropdown box that says "Grub." Don't change this. Now, you will also see another dropdown box that says "Drive." Choose the partition that you installed the grub bootloader on. Then, just add entry, and you should be set.

If you want to make it the primary OS, look at the "manage existing entries" option. Simply choose Linux (whatever you called it) and click "up." This will make Linux appear first on the bootloader, making it the primary OS.
      Thnxx a lot for your reply ...........

but after following all the steps as you mentioned i made the new entry ........... but while i rebooted and got to the boot options page ............... though the enrty was listed but while i selected it .............. it got back to the boot options page and nothing happened ..........

Though i'm just a noob but i guess it was because the kubuntu which i have installed via WUBI is under C:/ ........ it is the very same partition the Vista is .................

accordingly it is not listed under \NST\nst_grub.mbr (the bootloader path as created via EasyBCD) but under the path \ubuntu\*\*(i'm not sure about the path ) ........

so i think i need to change the bootloader path ............

you are a better judge ......... so please guide me as to how to do it .......
      thnxxx in advance ...................

Comment

I really need to get my kubuntu back ...............
        please guide me how to do it ............

Comment

Thank GOD finally i got this problem solved ..................

and yeah thnxx to @divide0 for his useful inputs ...............

though i searched a lot to find a solution to this problem of mine .............. but then was left helpless ..................

Since I had installed Kubuntu via Wubi I was almost sure that the Boot MBR being used is Vista's ............. so i needed to create a new entry in windows Vista MBR as Kubuntu and set the Operating System path and drive ........... but then i wasn't sure about the Kubuntu Operating System's path .......... in order to resolve this issue i created a new (Boot entry) kubuntu entry using EasyBCD 1.7.2
          {the EasyBCD 1.7.2 utility can be downloaded via the following link :-

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 ............and the Steps needed for making a new enrty using EasyBCD are as follows :-

When you start up EasyBCD, go to Add/Remove entries and click on the Linux tab. Then, you can name the Linux startup option whatever you like. You'll also see a dropdown box that says "Wubi." Don't change this. Now, you will also see another dropdown box that says "Drive." Choose the partition that you installed the Wubi bootloader on. Then, just add entry, and you should be set.}

but since Kubuntu was installed somewhere in C:\(the very same drive as to where Vista was installed) thus i gave the drive path as C:\ to the new entry ...........

then the steps followed for the determination of the exact drive path of the Operating System(Kubuntu) are as follows:-
          (1)made a new partition for installing Windows XP on it .
          (2).Installed windows XP on the new partition and After the installation was complete tried installing Kubuntu again using the Wubi installer in order to find the correct path of the Operating System(Kubuntu) ...........
          (3).after the installation I could clearly see that the path of the Operating System(Kubuntu) was listed as follows:-
          {In order to determine the drive path of Kubuntu in Windows XP the Following must be typed in the command prompt :-

C:\windows\system32>bootcfg

(this command would list the Windows XP MBR's Entries which includes the Kubuntu enrty and also the Exact drive path which would be C:\wubildr.mbr)}

C:\Wubildr.mbr

NOTE : thus i needed to make the change in VIsta's MBR and change the Kubuntu Operating System path from C:\ to C:\Wubildr.mbr ..............
          (4).now i rebooted via the Windows Vista DVD and recovered Windows Vista MBR ........
          (5)then after i changed the boot record manually via command line by setting the Kubuntu entry's Operating System Path to C:\Wubildr.mbr ............

this can be done by using the bcdedit command in Windows Vista Command Prompt and typing the following into the command prompt(but you need administrative privileges for performing these action):-

C:\windows\System32>bcdedit
          (this command would show you the current entries listed in the windows Vista's MBR along with their specific identifier's,Operating System path etc. ......... now note down the specific identifier of the Kubuntu enrty )
          let's say the specific identifier of the Kubuntu entry is {88b266fo-7d49-ndc-89d2-d25c6946223c}

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {specific identifier of the Kubuntu entry} path \wubildr.mbr

in the above mentioned case( specific identifier of the Kubuntu entry is {88b266fo-7d49-ndc-89d2-d25c6946223c}) the command would be as follows:-

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {88b266fo-7d49-ndc-89d2-d25c6946223c} path \wubildr.mbr
          The operation completed successfully (this message would be displayed if the made changes were successful)

This command would set the Os path of the Kubuntu enrty to \wubildr.mbr ........... thus loading the Wubi's Mbr ...........

Comment

Working...
          X