This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make Kubuntu Boot First?

In used my XP disc format the drive and then installed it. I then installed Kubuntu and all is fine. When I first start up the pc and it gets to the page where you choose either XP or Kubuntu to boot, XP is on top and it will boot if I do nothing. Question: Is there a way to make Kubuntu be the first so I don't have to sit there for the boot phase to get to the point where I have to choose? Man, I'm real new to Linux!
    The day I can't go to work drunk is the day I'll turn in my badge and gun.

Re: Make Kubuntu Boot First?

There are a few ways to accomplish what you want. You need to change the /boot/grub/menu.lst file so that Kubuntu is the default. This can be done in System Settings->Grub Editor if you have kgrubeditor installed. You should see buttons on the right to choose the default. If it is not there run
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install kgrubeditor

The other way is to edit the file. Try
    sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Very near the top you will see a line like
    default 0
    The number indicates the stanza for each kernel. These stanzas are at the end and counting starts from 0. It is very likely that 0 will refer to the first Kubuntu kernel, which is what you want.

Comment

roscoe rules, yes try the GRUB editor as suggested.

(The default statement counts "title" lines -- the first "title" line you see is in position zero, the second "title" line is position 1, etc.)

For future reference on the bootloader Kubuntu uses, and doing things by hand:
      -- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, this is strange. Grub shows Kubuntu as the defaul and when I ran "sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst" the default kernel is set to "0". As before, the initial boot goes to XP after a 10 second countdown unless I select Kubuntu. Thanks for the quick replies.
        The day I can't go to work drunk is the day I'll turn in my badge and gun.

Comment

Hi,

I think it is also possible in the graphical envirement...

Go to SYSTEMCONFIGURATION, then go to ADVANCED, then go to GRUB Editor

Thery you will have 3 tabs:
          Entries ==> Check this one
          Options ==> Check this one
          Tools

I think you can do it from here also, but not sure about it! I use only 1 HD for Linux and 1 for Windoze :P
          The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

Working...
          X