X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug while installing

Hello

I've bought the MSI VR630X-038EU and, immediately, I tried to install my favourite OS: Kubuntu.
    First, I connect all, I put the CD in the drive, he starts, I choose the language and it loads.
    But, after the loading, the notebook shows a blocked black screen.
    And there, it is hardly as if it had planted!

I'm sure my CD is OK because it's an official and I've used it before.

I've tried installing without loading the OS but I've got the same bug.

Finally, I've tried to use the alternate CD and the installation run perfectly but, when I reboot....same problem, black blocked sreen.

I've tried too with a DVD of Open Suse 11 but I've got the same problem, a green blocked screen.

You can find specifications of my notebook here:
    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...d_no=1650#menu

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks

Re: Bug while installing

I'm a newbie here so I cannot give a great help. But if you have the same blocked screen problem with different systems, it could be a hardware issue. I see Vista was the default operating system, have you tried to run your computer with it ?
    Configuration:<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R - 4x1024 Corsair DDR2-6400 - ATI Radeon HD4850

Comment

No, I've bought the notebook because the default operating system was FreeDos and not Vista.

FreeDos worked perfectly but it's not a "real" OS.

Comment

I like the idea of this computer with FreeDOS. Some clarification. Do you get a grub boot? Does it show you the "hit esc in 2 seconds" bit? Are you then booting the Kernel and having problems when it loads X (KDM)?

If you are sitting at the green or black screen try Ctl-Alt-F1 (hole CTL and ALT while pressing F1) and see if you get a virtual terminal. If so we can start to work from there.

If the system is powered down, boot up and press esc. Select the repair option and try some or the things in there.

Comment

16" WXGA 16:9 (1366 x 768) LCD Display

That's a little different -- I would guess it's a video problem. Can you boot the Live CD and press F4 "Safe Graphics" mode?

Probably you're going to need a video boot option to make it work -- review FAQ #2 in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            16" WXGA 16:9 (1366 x 768) LCD Display

That's a little different -- I would guess it's a video problem. Can you boot the Live CD and press F4 "Safe Graphics" mode?

Probably you're going to need a video boot option to make it work -- review FAQ #2 in my signature.
            I've tried to boot in "safe graphic mode" but it's the same problem!
            I've tried too to add "vga=333" in boot options, but I've this error message:
            Originally posted by MSI VR630x
            Undefined video mode number: 14d
            Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 sec.
            Mode:Resolution:Type:Mode:Resolution:Type:Mode:Res olution:Type:
            0 F0080*25VGA1 F0180*50VGA2 F0280*43VGA
            3 F0380*28VGA4 F0580*30VGA5 F0680*34VGA
            6 F0680*60VGA7 300640*400*8VESA8 301640*480*8VESA
            9 303800*600*8VESAa 3051024*768*6VESAb 30E320*200*16VESA
            c 30F320*600*8VESAd 311640*480*16VESAe 312640*480*32VESA
            f 314800*600*16VESAg 315800*600*32VESAh 3171024*768*16VESA
            i 3181024*768*32VESAj 330320*200*8VESAk 331320*400*8VESA
            l 332320*400*16VESAm 333320*400*8VESAn 334320*240*8VESA
            v 335320*240*16VESAp 336320*240*32VESAq 33D640*400*16VESA
            r 33E640*400*32VESAs 362768*480*8VESAt 37B1280*720*32VESA
            I've tried two or three differents video modes (I've add "vga=XXX" on the grub), but black screen for all.

Originally posted by mando_hacker
            I like the idea of this computer with FreeDOS. Some clarification. Do you get a grub boot? Does it show you the "hit esc in 2 seconds" bit? Are you then booting the Kernel and having problems when it loads X (KDM)?
            I get a grub boot, I can choose kernel version but after, the loading sreen disappear very soon and I have the black screen.
            It's the same thing for the live CD.

If you are sitting at the green or black screen try Ctl-Alt-F1 (hole CTL and ALT while pressing F1) and see if you get a virtual terminal. If so we can start to work from there.
            When I have a blocked screen, Ctrl+Alt+F1 do no work!!

If the system is powered down, boot up and press esc. Select the repair option and try some or the things in there.
            I've tried the repair option, but I've the same problem, black blocked sreen.

Comment

Hi

I've tried this method:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=10

But when I type "apt-get install nvidia-glx-177", it shows "0% [WAITING FOR HEADERS] and it's all.
              I've connected un ethernet cable and it works (I've tested).

Why doesen't he loads?

Thanks

Comment

Are you getting to a root prompt by using "init=/bin/bash" at the boot prompt? If you are your system has done none of it initialization, which has the advantage that it does not try to start kdm (last in the init system) and leave you stuck, but it also does not mount any filesystems, load any virtual terminals, start any log daemons, establish any networking or numerous other things.

Since you can get to the boot menu use it to select rescue boot and then select "drop to root shell with networking". If you do this your chances of repairing instead of damaging will greatly increase.

When you say you tested it, what did you do? Did you ping a host from your sources.list file by name? Do you have a default route defined?

Comment

Working...
                X