This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATA revalidation error on brand new hardware

Hey yall, I'm new to these forums, and I'm having trouble getting Intrepid on my new AMD64 machine. I'm running a PhenomII 720 Black with 4GB of PC6400 and a 1TB Seagate SATA drive. All the hardware besides the DVD drive is brand new, and I've already installed XP64 on the system and I've verified that everything works.

I've done ubuntu installs before, and when I try to run an install on this machine, it starts Busybox and gives me this error:

(initramfs) [64.188059] ata5.01: revalidation failed (errno=-2)
    [74.892045] ata5.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
    [74.892088] ata5.01: cmd a0/01 :00 :00 :60 :00/00 :00 :00 :00 :00/b0 tag 0 dma 96 in
    [74.892088] cdb 12 00 00 00 60 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    [74.892088] res 40/00 :02 :00 :24 :00/00 :00 :00 :00 :00/b0 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
    [74.964208] ata5.01: status: {DRDY}
    [85.248058] ata5.01: revalidation failed (errno=-2)

Normally, I would assume that this means my drive is gonna die. But I just bought it a week ago, and I've been using it the entire time and works great.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It's not the disk, I've checked it on my laptop and it's good.

Re: ATA revalidation error on brand new hardware

You should have the cd check itself for errors. If your CD is OK you might need disk system boot parameters, but first check your CD.

Comment

I've checked the CD on my laptop, and it verifies that it's ok. If I check the CD on the AMD system, it gives me the same error as if I attempt an install.

FYI: Debian won't install either, but Windows 7, XP and Vista Ultimate all do.

Comment

My guess is that you may have an ATA controller that requires a boot parameter to work correctly, or possibly it is not even supported. What is your motherboard and chipset? What is the PATA controller?

Comment

The board is an ASUS m4a79 deluxe with the AMD 790FX north bridge and the SB750 south bridge.

Comment

Go into the BIOS and look at the SATA modes. I had an Asus P5Q mobo a couple months back that insisted the SATA bus had to be set on "Legacy IDE" or some such thing. Usually AHCI mode is best, if it will work.

Comment

AHCI mode is operational with Windows, but I get the same error when I try a Kubuntu install.

Comment

What is the mobo and chipset?

Comment

it's an ASUS m4a79 deluxe with the 790FX north bridge and SB750 south bridge.

Comment

You have it set to AHCI mode now?

Is there any possibility that the installation CD is defective? Did you burn it at 4X speed, in DAO mode?

Comment

It's not a coaster, I've checked it on my laptop. Burned at the right speed.

Comment

I've tried a unetbootin install using an ISO, and the install just hangs in busybox.

What sort of boot parameters do I need to set?

Comment

I am not familiar with that board, but doing a little searching on google brought me back to a thread on this forum.
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3102008.0
                          It seems sithlord has the same mobo and is running intrepid. That makes me think it will work and he may know the trick.
                          What I have seen indicates that chipset has worked well with linux.

Comment

Thanks for referring me; he's running almost the same sys as me.

Comment

Working...
                            X