This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD ONLY and getting error loading os now

I am just trying the live cd option and now my laptop will not boot unless I have the kubuntu cd in the drive .
    If the kubuntu cd is not in the drive, I get "error loading os" and that's all.
    I have a new Dell XPS M1530 , 4Gig RAM , 320GB @7200rpm , 2.5Ghz core 2 dual , and came with 64-bit Vista Home Premium.
    This is NOT suppose to happen with the Live CD option I thought ?
    I am very familiar with line command non-Sysadmin Linux in general, but not very familiar with desk top installs.
    I would really appreciate ANY suggestions.
    Thanks in advance,

Re: Live CD ONLY and getting error loading os now

Inability to boot is not supposed to happen with any installation method. Are you saying that you installed from the liveCD or that you are running linux from the live CD?

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
      Inability to boot is not supposed to happen with any installation method. Are you saying that you installed from the liveCD or that you are running linux from the live CD?
      I was running linux from the live CD ! ... Yes this is weird and not suppose to happen.

From Vista, I burned the image to a CD, reviewed the CD contents, and did a re-boot.

I did not even run the CD on Vista !

When I re-booted, I immediately got the "error loading OS" message right after seeing the Bios messages about "press f2 for setup, etc." .. it was quick to then see the error.

The first time I did not even get to see the Kubuntu interface because my Bios was not setup by default to boot from the CD before the hard drive.

So, I restarted the 2nd time and changed the Bios to allow booting from CD.

Then, I was able to review Kubuntu via the Live CD option.
      - Looks cool and neat .. but this error is really bugging me.

I am using the latest version which is not completely stable and I am on 64-bit .. these factors could have been my biggest mistake.

But, the error keeps coming up when I reboot IF I remove the CD.

I even changed one time (after above and the error started) the Bios back to not allow booting from the CD and all I then get is the "error loading os".

This seems impossible and maybe hard to believe, but again I do work on Linux servers and am not a complete newbie. Ok ... yeah I am a newbie when it comes to doing "Sys Admin" tweaking of the O/S .

I am thinking all I really need ... for now ... is to fix my laptop to use the Vista boot loader ?

But I have no idea how exactly to do this ... I am doing searches currently but not much luck yet.

Thanks again,

Comment

It really sounds like you have set BIOS options incorrectly, although since you had linux running you could have run a program that changed your MBR and caused this error. I would first look closely at your BIOS options and make sure you have selected your hard drive to boot from.

Comment

All is good :-)

Yes, it turned out my boot sequence included USB drive and I have an external Legato drive.

BUT, the USB drive was NOT listed ahead of the HDD and NOT ahead of the CD drive and still causes the "error loading os" ... which still seems weird.
          - I tried a lot of reboots/change-bios ... to confirm this.

So, I unchecked the USB boot option, put the CD drive back 1st, and the HDD 2nd.
          - It is possible the USB boot option was never checked, but I could have sworn it was checked to begin with but again NOT ahead of the other boot options ... oh well.

And now all is good ... boots fine without Kubuntu CD .. and Vista boots fine without the Kubuntu CD.

Thank You Thank You!

Comment

Working...
          X