X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED GRUB on wrong drive

Hey everyone,

Well my beast died last week so now after getting my new parts in today I did a fresh install. The problem is that my grub is located on the wrong drive now so I have to use the boot menu and tell it which drive to boot from. Does anyone know how or have some good links on how to move the grub over to the right drive or keep it from booting from the wrong drive? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: GRUB on wrong drive

You might try this, should cover most/all common cases like yours:

-- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Post back with questions as we have many GRUB people here to help out.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Cant you just set that drive (the one with Grub) as active? That should cause it to boot with that drive. On my old motherboard, if I booted with only one drive connected, it would automatically set that drive as active. then I could reattach the other drives. Otherwise I keep a win98 boot disk around to use fdisk. I'm guessing you could do it with gparted in linux also, but not sure...

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Ok so it turns out I might be slightly retarded. I didn't even think about the fact that while I was putting in the new power supply I powered it on without the hard drives plugged back in. So my bios set my Nvidia Raid up as the first boot device. So I realized this, this morning while in the shower (funny the things that hit you in the head when you least expect it) so after changing the boot order back to where it belongs all is now well. Changing the status of this to solved.
        Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Working...
        X