This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Laptop Boot Problems

Hi there, well I have been using Ubuntu for quite some time now and thought that I would give Kubuntu a try today. I have installed it on my laptop and have only managed to login once, when I logged in I could do nothing, the next reboot just passed login details and paused, now it's not even getting to the login screen. Is there some way that I can see what the problem is?

Re: Kubuntu on Laptop Boot Problems

Well, you've told us two things: "you installed Kubuntu" and "on a laptop", both of which are not really very helpful. :P

Please provide us with details: Make/model of laptop; make/model of video card/driver; type/size of HD; amount of installed RAM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just tested it and it runs fine off the CD but not from the install on the actual machine. The laptop is a Dell 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram with a 40GB hard disk. The current partition for Kubuntu is 20GB as I have Windows installed on another partition.

Comment

It is currently pausing on the KDE 4.1 screen, it loads the first 3 icons and just pauses.

Comment

The laptop is a Dell 2.4ghz, 1GB Ram with a 40GB hard disk.
          Very good.

Which Dell laptop?

What Model?

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It's an Inspiron 1100 2.4ghz P4. Works fine in Kubuntu booting from the disk but not from hard disk for some reason??

Comment

Did you "upgrade" to kubuntu 8.10 from an earlier ubuntu version?

I have seen this before. You might try running the live cd and going into the home directory that is installed on the hdd. Find a hidden file called .kde and rename it (say) .kdeold. There is a command you can use instead of this but I don't know what it is.

Then reboot and see if it works.

Ian

Comment

Since you say that it runs OK from the LiveCD, and that after installation it hangs on the third icon during the setup of the KDE desktop, the first thing I'd check is the ownership of the ~/.ICEauthority file. Note: it is a "hidden" file so it has a period as the first character in its name.

Hit Ctl+Alt+F2 to open a Konsole, log in, and from the console do

vdir .ICEauthority

Check the ownership. If it is root then do

sudo chown youraccountname:youraccountname .ICEauthority

Then do either

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

OR

reboot

If .ICEauthority was owned by you then it is not the problem.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X