This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 hardware failure

My problem is simple. I downloaded Kubuntu 8.10, started the installation process and got stuck at the line where it tested my hardware drivers and said "failure". After that the process hung.
    I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on the same hardware before: AMD XP2100+, Nvidia 68000 XT
    The proces shung when it tried to start X11 (I could see this because of the specific background)

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 hardware failure

Have you tried to install from the live cd, or the alternate (text based) CD?

Comment

I could not because I have this message when I boot from the livecd:

Loading hardware drivers: failure

I tried the kubuntu 8.10 as well as the ubuntu 8.10 livecds, but it's exactly the same problem

Comment

Which is why I asked the question....

You might have better results if you get the alternate cd, which uses a text - based installer.

What is your graphics card please?

Comment

Ok, I have to try that. My card is nvidia 68000XT. I have read their might be problems with older nvidia cards, but mine is not so old I guess. Do you know what drivers are best for this card ? There is some numbering scheme like 177, 178 etc. ?

Comment

Nvidia's site says the latest driver for the GeForce 6 series is 180.29:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I recommend using the method at FAQ #7 in the link in my signature.

Comment

Ok, but I have another problem. All 3 DVDs (TDK DVD+RW) I wrote using PowerIso 43 are loading and advancing incredibly slow. Verification of data was oK though. They were also written with "maximum speed". That should be 8x.
              Do you have some recommendation, cause I can't do the installation on such a slow medium.

Comment

Working...
              X