This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restarting/renaming after removing primary master

I used to have an ancient 20gb disk as the primary master, with a 160 as the secondary master and a 120 as the secondary slave. Between getting whacked b windows and showing signs of failing, I've pulled the 20gb and moved the 160 to be the primary master (windows is a nightmare unless it's partition1 on the primary master)

sdb5 used to be /. As I understand it, it should now be sda5.

I've used an 8.10 cd to try to boot, telling it repair with sda5 as /. However, it comes up as sdb5 anyway. It purports to mount other sda[n] partitions (/usr, /boot, etc.), but these show empty when I look.

How do I use my existing installation, rather than doing a complete reinstall?

hawk
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: restarting/renaming after removing primary master

Not sure what you mean by "it comes up as sdb5 anyway" but a lot of your problem is probably in /etc/fstab. The other partitions may be referred to as sdbx and they are now sdax. If they are listed that way changing them will help a lot.

Comment

They're all labeled with those really long drive identifiers instead of /dev/sda8 and so forth.

Well, they were; I changed them.

Nonetheless, when I tell the cd to do a rescue, and use /dev/hda5 as /, it still shows as /dev/hdb when mounted (is it getting this from the drive identifier somehow?). I have switched the drive from secondary slave to primary master both by jumper and cable.

I it comes to it, I can reinstall, but . . .

hawk

Comment

I think this is probably being done by udev. Does your system have a file
        /etc/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules ?

If so it may have a rule that was generated during the installation that is assigning hdb to your particular hard disk.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be anything related to individual drives in there.

Hmm, I have it booting, but now I'm having to edit the grub table each time. (I finally found a partition with grub in it; I can't install it, though).

I'll start a separate thread

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X