Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphical login not working (after system freeze)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical login not working (after system freeze)

A short time ago I had left my Intrepid system running, and came back to find it frozen. No response to the mouse. So I rebooted and got to the graphical login screen. I logged in (my password was apparently accepted). The screen flashed a couple of times and then I was returned to the same graphical login screen. (I'm posting this from another computer.) I tried renaming both ~/.kde and ~/.kde4, but that made no difference. I can log in to a text terminal, however.

The only other user shown on the graphical login screen is root, and logging in as root is not allowed from there. So I can't just switch to another user.

What can I do to get my system back?

Re: Graphical login not working (after system freeze)

Try
    Code:
    df - h
    at the terminal. If your disks are full, that can block logins.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Just a little correction, it's
      Code:
      df -h
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

disk space

I did the disk-space check with df. There's plenty of room.

Comment

How about doing a apt-get install, apt-get -f install, to fix broken packages?

And as a next step a reinstall of the desktop,
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Comment

I enjoy using Kubuntu, but lately I could not login any more, after a freeze indeed.
            I have the same problem: after entering my login name and password the screen turned black and returned to the login screen.
            I can do console login, the following commands I found after searching various forums. After ty-ping ‘startx’ I get the following response:
            > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
            > Ignoring extra symbols
            > Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
            (twice)
            When I type ‘sudo startx’ everything works fine.
            I tried ‘dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg’ too, but that did not solve anything.
            Can anybody explain: i) where and ii) how I can change the <RALT> and iii) what it is used for.

Question: what is the risk/effect of reinstalling of the desktop.

Kind regards,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomwilms
              When I type ‘sudo startx’ everything works fine.
              I seem to recall that being a VERY BAD IDEA. It breaks stuff badly, or at least it used to.
              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I have seen this before, and it's really not that hard to fix.

First shut down kdm (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop)
                Second: Delete /var/tmp/kdecache-userid; /tmp/ksocket-userid; /tmp/kde-userid
                then ~/.kde/cache-nodename; ~/.kde/socket-nodename; ~/.kde/tmp-nodename

Or for good measure you could just clear out the /tmp directory.

then login to the console as yourself, not root, by running startx. If you can get in fine you should be able to restart kdm (sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart) and login.

If that still doesn't work add a user who can login:
                sudo useradd <username>
                sudo passwd <username>

and see if you can login.

Deleting the .kde and .kde4 directories from your home dir doesn't delete the directories in /tmp with your ID on them, and KDE will reuse them if they are already there (or so it appeared to me).

Comment

Working...
                X