Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.10 Kubuntu persistent USB (not a live one) how to ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.10 Kubuntu persistent USB (not a live one) how to ?

I am trying to create a Kubuntu 8.10 on my 8gb USB key but all the tutorials and how-to are all about the same way: create a Live version from the Live-CD. I don't want a Live version. I want a fully functional one that once I boot, I get to the logon screen, just as if I had installed it on a HD.

I tried from the Live-CD to install it directly to the USB but when I chose to install the Grub on the (sdc0) it crashed near the end of the installation saying something about a grub unrecoverable error. The sdc is my USB key.

I want a Kubuntu on my USB key that I can use anywhere, on any PC, persistent, updatable, upgradable, with logon-ids, ..., the real thing !

How do I do this ?

Also, someone told me I should not create a swap partition on my USB key. Ok but does this mean I will have to create a swap partition on every single PC I will use my USB ?

I whish the dev team would create a specific image of Kubuntu (or any Ubuntu flavor) that is specifically made for a USB to be used just like I want it to.
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2 hd (80Gb+250Gb)<br />Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu server 9.04, Xubuntu 8.10, USB keyed persistent Kubuntu 8.10

Re: 8.10 Kubuntu persistent USB (not a live one) how to ?

See Qqmikes Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But the thing is, this looks like its to create a LIVE CD version on the USB. That's not what I want ("not a live one" in the title of my thread). Unless this includes additional steps to remove the LIVE part of the USB key to get to what I want ?

I do not want the boot menu of the Live CD.
      I want to boot streight to the logon prompt.
      I want to use logon-ids

I want the USB to act like any normal HD installed Kubuntu. Not the LIVE CD.
      AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2 hd (80Gb+250Gb)<br />Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu server 9.04, Xubuntu 8.10, USB keyed persistent Kubuntu 8.10

Comment

I am trying again to install directly to my USB key. I will problably have the same problem again but this time, I will reply back with the actual error.

Last time I set the "Device for boot loader installation" to the default (hd0).
        Now I set it to /dev/sdb2 where my ext3 partition will be on my USB.
        Once if finished installing it. I'll test it.

Comment

I have not had a chance to try this yet but is this perhaps what you are looking for?
          http://principialabs.com/usbuntu-ins...n-a-usb-drive/

I do believe this is a true install to a USB not just a liveCD.

Comment

Woohoo, it seams to work the way I want it to work !

The persistency is good. Did a few changes before and created a new id. Both are there.

Now there is 200+ updates to do but I will do it at home. Office connection is slow.

I will have to test it further to see if this Linux O/S flavor matches what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Browser_ice

I set it to /dev/sdb2 where my ext3 partition will be on my USB.
              It's your USB stick, so do as you wish, but all the expert information I can find on installing to flash media, including USB sticks, says to use ext2 or FAT32 filesystem to avoid the extra write cycles cause by ext3 metadata journalling.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

http://manual.sidux.com/en/hd-instal...-en.htm#usb-hd

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=890

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

Comment

Would this work with a USB hard disk as well?

If I may hijack this thread with a somewhat similar question:

Has anyone managed to run Kubuntu from an iPhone? I'm not talking about running it on the iPhone, I'm talking about using the iPhone as a storage device and boot from it.

Now, that would be raw, primitive cool, almost as cool as a great white shark with sunglasses and a tuxedo!

Comment

Edit Added:
                  @Browser_ice -- It sounds to me that you did it correctly; only issue might be ext2 vs ext3? and swap or no swap? --see my comments below.
                  ----------------
                  Now, my first post:

I recently updated/tuned this how-to:

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
                  >>> Reply #1: How to install K/Ubuntu 7.04 to an external USB hard disk drive (HDD)

1 How-to do it: The basic how-to
                  3 USB drive shifting: Very important! Super Grub Disk for USB usbshift
                  4 Appendix: Put GParted in the same partition with SGD

I'll weight in with just a few comments:

--- Reply #1 of this how-to applies to installing Kubuntu (regular--not live) to either a flash drive or an external USB drive. Exactly same principles., exactly same steps.

--- What principles? --> see section 3 of the how to: USB drive shifting

--- In Reply #1 of the how-to, I describe in detail how to handle the installation of GRUB. The key is simply to know how the Kubuntu installer sees your external/flash drive, as (hd1), as (hd2), as (hd3), or what? You need to specify to put GRUB in the MBR of the external/flash drive. I use the Live CD installer, Manual partitioning method in Step 4, Step 6 > Advanced button > type the MBR of the drive you want GRUB to be in (or type any partition you wish GRUB to be installed to the boot sector of).

--- Tip: Before you click the Install icon from the Live Kubuntu CD, USE the Live CD session to get information! Open Konsole and explore your drives, including the flash drive to see HOW GRUB sees the flash drive (hdx, for some x); do so at Konsole; do so using the geometry command at a grub> prompt -- it's all in the how-to.

--- Opinion: Go ahead and let the installer give you a swap on the stick, who cares?, it probably won't be used anyway. >>> Safe: Use dibl's suggestion and format everything ext2 (not ext3=journalling => lots of writing to the flash drive => possible wear-out?).
                  If you can afford to do so, you can clone the flash drive to have two copies, and you can keep the clone up-to-date by re-cloning. Explained in two of my other how-to's:
                  -- Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
                  -- dd Command
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090824.0
                  (See Reply #1, Experiments)

--- Suggestion: Get the flash drive ready beforehand using GParted Live CD to partition and format the flash drive -- see the how-to cited already. Then run the Kubuntu installer CD.

--- For general GRUB methods, use my other how to:
                  How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

I had forgotten about the ext3 thing. Good thing I did not do too much adding/changes to my USB key Kubuntu. LOL.

I will re-do it.

However I have another thread asking about if I have to always change my USB Kubuntu boot CD everytimes I have a Kubuntu kernel update. Could you go and reply on that one ?

Thx.

Comment

Working...
                    X