This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 upgrade=FUBAR - help!!

I installed the 4.2 upgrade as per instructions, and got the apt error I see here and there.

I tried sudo dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get -f install
    apt-get update and dist-upgrade
    I booted recovery and chose the dpkg option

I tried all the "fixes" I've found in the forums. Now when I do the dist-upgrade from a text interface, it tells me everything is up to date. So I'm kind of at the end of what I can do. All dependencies are fixed, old packages removed and new installed according to the system.

Now I get the new splash screen on login, and once KDE comes up, I get no window manager (no bars and not appearing on the plasma toolbar), and no applications accept keyboard input. I know it still works, because alt-esc gets me the process list, but no application lets me type in it. So my main computer is now basically useless (I'm typing from my Ubuntu system). The apps seem to work, and it looks pretty, but I can't actually do anything. Any ideas, any one? Please??

Re: KDE 4.2 upgrade=FUBAR - help!!

I'm noticing anything dealing with the desktop or windows from the control panel isn't accessible - it says kcm_kwindesktop is missing. So it seems I'm missing the entire kde window manager, which would explain what I"m seeing. Any one know how to get that back... I mean the 4.2 version?? (from command line)

Comment

What specific 'fixes' have you tried so far?
      ---------

oops just seeing more info from you.

The package that contains kcm_kwindesktop is called [i]kde-window-manager[/]
      try reinstalling that:
      Code:
       sudo apt-get install --reinstall kde-window-manager

-----------
      Have you tried renaming your ~/.kde directory , forcing the creation of a fresh default setup?

You can do this from an alt-f1 terminal:

First stop kdm:
      Code:
      mv ~/.kde ~/kde-original
      then ctrl-alt-backspace to restart your xserver and login manager

If this fixes things, you can then move your application files from the backup kde folder to the new .kde folder

Comment

RESOLVED! Re: KDE 4.2 upgrade=FUBAR - help!!

BOOYAH! That fixed everything! A billion thanks! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by vaasnaad
          BOOYAH! That fixed everything! A billion thanks! :-)
          hehe, which bit?

Comment

Reinstalling the KDE window manager did the trick. :-) Didn't have to go any farther than that.

Comment

Working...
            X